FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non destructive Mask leveling

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted harisson
Non destructive Mask leveling
on Dec 20, 2009 at 12:11:20 pm

Hi there experts,
I don't seem to be able to level/curves/(any other adjustment) to a mask.
I mean, if I alt click the mask, Ctrl+L I will be able to level the mask which is what I am after.
But what if I want that levels to be non destructive for fine tuning after the fact ?

Thanks in advance !
N

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Non destructive Mask leveling
on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:19:45 pm

If you want to do non destructive adjustments, do NOT use the image adjustment options. Instead, use Layer -> New Adjustment Layer. You can also add adjustment layers if the Layers window is visible. It has a circle icon that is half white and half black. Click on that icon to see a list of adjustment layers, and click on the one you want.

Adjustment layers are non destructive, and they have masks.

Return to posts index

ted harisson
on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:39:11 pm

I need those adjustment layers applied to my mask, not to the image.
A mask applied to an adjustment layer would only determine the affected areas of the adjustment layer, rather than affect the mask itself.

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:16:23 am

I see your problem, Ted.

I think the idea is that the new masks panel allows enough non-destructive editing for masks, since you can non-destructively feather and use all those "refine edge" sliders. So you might want to start playing with those. CS4 has them, I THINK CS3 does too?

The only other thing I can suggest is copying your original mask so you can go back to it if you like...

Return to posts index

ted harisson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:44:10 am

Thanks Emily,
I thought Photoshop should have enough support for mask layers as much as it has for the regular layers. After all, they are greyscale images, and can be filtered just like any other image. I figured there might be a non destructive approach to that.
Thanks for your help, I'll look into the refine edge thing as you suggested :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]