FORUMS: list search recent posts

Running photoshop on a travel laptop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaiah Brookshire
Running photoshop on a travel laptop
on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:25:47 am

I'm in the market for a new travel laptop to run photoshop and LR on but I have some pretty specific requirements. On top of that I dealing with the whole mac v PC issue. Any thoughts or pointers would be great.

Let me give you some background. I travel mostly out of a backpack. I shoot RAW and edit in Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom. I need something that is rugged, portable (under 5lbs), powerful enough to do my post processing.

I know most photographers laugh at the idea of doing post processing on a travel laptop. I need to because I'm in the field for weeks at a time. I shoot for newspapers so my finished files aren't that big and I don't have to do a ton of detail work like an advertising photographer would.

My first thought was to get a maxed out netbook: 1.6Ghz 3Gb ram 1024X800 and then have a desktop replacement notebook at home. But then the thought of switching to mac popped back in my head. I'm thinking about the 13 macbook pro. But I can't justify the price jump for something that is essentially a PC with a different operating system.

Someone suggested a netbook running mac's OS as the best option but I thought it might be underpowered. Any thoughts for a photo editing laptop with +1.6Ghz(preferably dual core), +3gb, -5lbs, rugged(not a toughbook), and with at least a 1024X700 display?

I should note that I'm running CS2 and want to upgrade. So the cost of buying CS4 is already factored into my price. I also want to stress that weight and size is very important to me because I live out of a backpack but I still want the minimum specs I listed above.

Also I think 15" would be my max size. I know the bigger the better for photos but I need something small for ease of travel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]