FORUMS: list search recent posts

help in applying actions to video clips in photoshop using "batch"

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Morrison
help in applying actions to video clips in photoshop using "batch"
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:44:27 pm

i am having problems trying to apply an action set (filters, curves, etc) to a video clip in photoshop using the batch command. it seems that no matter what i try, i have to apply the action set frame by frame. part of the problem is that dialog boxes keep stopping the process. obviously, i'm missing something. it would probably help if i could get each frame of the clip separated in a folder and then batch all of the separate frames. whatever i try doesn't work. if i am able to get the clip broken down into frames, which would be preferable, tiff's, png's, or targa's? or am i just missing the boat everywhere?

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
Re: help in applying actions to video clips in photoshop using "batch"
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:54:29 pm

I don't know whether you are playing one of the standard video ACTIONS that are shipped with photoshop or that you made one yourself. However, in both cases it is possible for you to apply the ACTION to the whole video without the need to first generate an image sequence.

You suggested that the problem is caused by the fact that the ACTIONS stops with a dialog box. This is just a setting in the ACTION pallette. On the left side of this pallette you will find two colomns (see figure). Expand your ACTION to see all the steps.
Check the left colums if you want this particular step to be included in the execution of the ACTION. And select the right colomn if you want the ACTION to stop at a dialogbox to allow you to enter some data. So if you don't want the ACTION to stop at the dialogbox, just deselect the dialogbox stops in right colomn.

Theo

Return to posts index

Jim Morrison
on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:04:11 pm

thanks so much for responding. i'm still having problems. here's what i've been doing. i created an action set and saved it in the actions pallette. there are no "stops," at least none that i put in. the last two steps are "flatten image" and "save." i have a 12 second quicktime movie in a folder on my desktop. when i "automate" and "batch" i get the batch dialog box. then i select the folder with the quicktime clip as a source and give it a destination in a folder on my desktop. i check the two boxes "supress file openings dialog" and "supress color profile warnings." when i click on "ok" usually the action set is applied to only one frame. it should do the whole clip, but i can't even get to the second frame. i somewhat competent dealing with stills in photoshop, but i can't get my head around what's happening with this quicktime file. i know i am missing something obvious. even so, it seems that if i could make each QT frame a separate file in a folder, i could treat it like batch automating a folder of stills.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:41:11 am

Filters apply one frame at a time unless you convert clips to smart objects first

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jim Morrison
on Nov 14, 2009 at 3:19:53 am

many thanks for that bit of info. i've never dealt with "smart objects" so we're getting out of my area code. i'm sure this is a dumb question, but how do you convert a video clip into a smart object? and what does one do after that? i'm realizing that i'm not as far up the photoshop curve as i need to be. i guess i'm looking for someone to give me a series of instructions that i can follow. how lame is that? but that's where i am. thanks for any and all help.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 14, 2009 at 1:09:37 pm

Right Click or use menu

Now that you know the answer, you can effectively use Cow search or Adobe help for the step by step

Just record it as part of the action command

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jim Morrison
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:16:07 pm

many thanks. i'll give it a try. and thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

Jim Morrison
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:59:23 pm

i tried converting the clip to a smart object, but problems still exist. among the actions i used were certain filters followed by "fade" instructions. when i try to batch process the actions set, i get a dialog box saying "fade not available." this did not happen before i converted the clip to a smart object. any thoughts? thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:14:07 am

Try re-recording your action and run it on Smart object

Return to posts index

Jim Morrison
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:39:23 pm

i got around the filter/fade issue via using the smart object conversion, but i still can't get the actions to apply to the whole clip (quick time movie). i tried to batch process an action set containing only one filter to see if the sequence of actions was the problem, but that didn't work either. only one frame was processed. here's what happens. i open the clip in photoshop and the first frame appears. i create an action which is applied to that first frame. then i use the batch process command, selecting the action set, the source folder (containing the clip) and the destination folder. after clicking on "ok" no additional frames are processed. any thoughts on why the whole clip isn't being processed. is there something that i am doing wrong in selecting the clip or folder containing the clip? i'm totally flummoxed. many thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]