FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dead fonts in photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Monaghan
Dead fonts in photoshop
on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:32:55 pm

Photoshop CS4 on the Mac.. i have certain fonts that are in my font list ex. Ariel Hebrew, apple braille and loads of others that don't work.... I hate this because I like to use my arrow keys to sift through fonts and when I come up to one of these non working fonts it just stops letting me go to the next one.

Any idea what i can do about this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
Re: Dead fonts in photoshop
on Oct 26, 2009 at 12:59:26 am

Hi Tim,

I don't know if there's a better solution or not but I had the same problem and ended up just turning those fonts off :-) You can use the "Font Book" application to turn off any fonts you want to (I have a bunch of them turned off). The fonts are still installed and can be turned back on anytime you want. You might consider doing something like that.

Return to posts index

Tim Monaghan
on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:54:53 am

That's a great suggestion and I actually did that... however some of these apple fonts are system fonts and when I try to disable them they let me know of that fact.

I was wondering if there was something else I could do..

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:57:21 am

Hi again Tim,

Yes, when I turned those problematic fonts off I saw those messages about some of them being system fonts. However, they were mostly foreign language fonts (that I figured I didn't use anyway). Actually, the fonts that are really necessary to the system can't be turn off in Font Book (see link below) so there's really not much to worry about.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1538

Anyway, other than turning them off, I don't know of any other solution. Hopefully someone else will come along who does; I'd like to know the answer myself :-)

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:24:11 am

Under Windows, you can simply copy the Fonts folder (C:/Windows/Fonts) from a PC without problems to a PC with the corrupted fonts. Is this not possible with a Mac?

Theo

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:09:05 pm

Hi Theo,

Yeah, you can copy fonts like that on a Mac too. However, if I understand Tim correctly, I don't think he's saying that his fonts are bad or corrupted. I think he's just saying that certain fonts refuse to cooperate when he tries to 'scroll' through his list of fonts in Photoshop :-)

While using the Type tool in PS, if you type a word then highlight (select) that word and also highlight the font in the font list (on the options bar) you can 'scroll' through the fonts using the arrow keys on the keyboard. As you scroll, the word you typed changes to the various fonts. But...certain fonts refuse to cooperate and stop that scrolling action. In my case there were just a few (and I didn't use them anyway) so I simply disabled them.

Thanks for jumping in and trying to help Theo!!!!

Return to posts index

Caleb Taulbee
on May 17, 2012 at 6:35:20 pm

This is an old post, but this worked for me:

Photoshop>Preferences>Type> The uncheck "Enable Missing Glyph Protection" That allowed me to arrow down through all the fonts without stopping. Im sure its enabled for a good reason, but disabling will fix this particular issue, without having to deactivate fonts.

Hope That Helps Some One!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]