FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac and Pc format differences?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Cerini
Mac and Pc format differences?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:50:51 pm

Hello - as far as the Adobe suite is concerned, are the files interchangeable between Mac and Windows?

Basically, I work with Windows and may be getting into business with a friend who is Mac based. We'll be using Adobe CS4 suites exclusively (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) and are trying to figure out if there will be any incompatibility issues.

I cross posted in the Illustrator forum by mistake and am not sure how to delete that post.

Thanks,

Roberto

Roberto Cerini
http://www.robertocerini.com

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Mac and Pc format differences?
on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:54:29 pm

For the basic image files like PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc., there is no difference between the two operating systems. I do all of my work in Windows, and sometimes take it do a Mac for printing or in-class display.

The only area I know of where the files may not transfer is when raw formats are processed. A small additional file is created which contains the raw settings. I have never tried to transfer that.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:13:25 am

Raw transfers fine

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Oct 25, 2009 at 8:02:57 pm

Really? So, if I copy the CR2 file (Canon) and the XMP file which contains my raw settings (like exposure or color temperature) to a Mac, the raw processor on the Mac will use the settings in the XMP file? Do I copy both files to the same folder on a Mac?

I do know that the CR2 file can be processed on the Mac, but I was not aware that the XMP file can be transferred and used as well.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:29:55 am

I work with PS, AI, AE, etc. on both Win and Mac machines every day and would only add that you'll want to be careful of font issues. I'm not contradicting what Bob or Richard said ... there is no inherent problem using the same Adobe files on both platforms, but font differences can affect that very much, which isn't an Adobe issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]