FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hot to cut out white

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Behrens
Hot to cut out white
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:09:44 pm

Hello,

I'm new here and couldn't find anythink that would help me.
The problem I have is very simple. I think you all know the layer-effect 'multyply' and I'm also sure taht you know that this only works if you have a 'solid' background.
For example:
I have a picture of a logo and I need to get rid of the white background. The two problems I have with this are that 1. a part of the logo is gray and 2. I completley need the white color removed from even in the small blurry spaces around the colored ones.
The easiest way to do this would be to use the 'multyply' layer effect but you can't use it on a transparent background, as discribed above.

So how do I get the white out of the picture and without any ugly edges.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Hot to cut out white
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:22:28 pm

I think I know what you mean, but I don't think there is a one-click solution, like simply selecting a layer blend mode. You may have to do some manual touch-up on those edges. Another option is to experiment with the "Blend If" slider settings at the top level of Layer Effects.

Actually, the real answer is that you'd be best off obtaining a vector copy of the logo. Although a vector copy might not seem readily available, just about every logo in existence was initially created in vectors, and exists in vectors, somewhere. Often you can get them from various online sources, like http://www.allfreelogo.com/. Other times you might have to go to the company's web site and mine it for PDF documents, (financial reports, press releases, brochures, etc.), that contain vector logo graphics.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Hot to cut out white
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:14:15 am

We have a tutorial on the Photoshop Podcast here on the Cow on this. Look up alpha channels.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]