FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to work with Big Files

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Hockman
How to work with Big Files
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:43:49 pm

im creating a background for a news set.

i did this once before and it worked, but was painfully slow.

im on a faster machine now and it still takes forever to transform things, use levels, etc. seriously like 2 minutes to make changes take effect.

my file is set at 84in x 50in with 72dpi. Final print size.

How do I work with this file so it isn' so slow????

Return to posts index

Jermaine Tonkes
Re: How to work with Big Files
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:25:57 pm

hello Milton,

Just to clarify, I'm no master at photoshop so i can't really give you a "save-memory" shortcut (won't be surprised if there would really be one).

But what I need to answer your question is:

How many layers does you Bg have? How many text is there on your artwork? did you used a lot of blending modes / layer effects?

All these things play a big role in the CPU usage of your computer, even considering the fact you are working in a 48' x 45' workspace.

And 72 dpi isnt enough for good final print quality, you know it has to be at least 300 dpi? But as its going to be a news BG I assume its going to be a tv screen artwork so forget this paragraph if thats the point.

For now, all I can say is; try to shut down other programmes such as AE or InDesign, especially 'common programmes' like MSN or skype. Another thing is to go to edit > preferences > performance, and increase the available RAM memory, dicrease history states, and decrease cache levels.

The last solution would be: update your RAM memory and graphics card, but thats the most expensive one hehe.

hope it helps,

Jermaine

Life's good. yeah, I know. I'm not good in filosofy but er, life's good.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:52:18 pm

Maybe it helps when you work with smart objects. Then you can keep the size of the file small until you are completely finished and only at the end increase the size up to your 84in x 50in.

Theo

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
on Oct 3, 2009 at 12:52:00 am

Sorry Theo, that won't work, smart objects are not a magic shortcut to prevent degradation when scaling up, if your original content lacks the necessary resolution it will show when you scale it up.

Smart objects work when you have something large and want to try it at a small size, then if you don't like it you can scale it back to the original size and not loose any resolution, as would happen with a raster object, but it can't generate pixels from a small object, unless the object is an Illustrator based file.

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Oct 3, 2009 at 7:58:12 am

'Sorry Theo, that won't work, smart objects are not a magic shortcut to prevent degradation when scaling up, if your original content lacks the necessary resolution it will show when you scale it up.'

David, I think you misunderstood the point. The question was not how you can increase the resolution of a picture. That would ofcourse not be done with smart objects.
But the question was how to work easily with large files. And therefore I suggested the smart object. So that Milton can do all the effects on low sized images and at the end bring everything back to the final output size. (and this is something complete different from increasing the resolution of original footage).

Theo

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:15:14 pm

You need to supply more information. Your image is not all that large. If my calculations are correct, my camera shoots almost as large as your image. So, what computer, what OS, CPU speed, etc.? What other programs are running with photoshop? What bit depth? How many layers? How many and how fast are the hard drives? Where is photoshop going with temporary files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]