FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correcting Scanned Dithered Image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yaron Bar
Correcting Scanned Dithered Image
on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:39:10 am

Can anyone advice me on a good method of taking a black and white scanned paper print (which appear dithered after scan and zoom), and making the image appear more like a photo and less dithered?

Thanks,
Yaron.

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
Re: Correcting Scanned Dithered Image
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:56:43 pm

Hi Yaron,

I don't do much scanning myself so I really can't speak from experience :-) However, I've read that it often helps to scan at twice your desired resolution, soften the image a little, and then down-sample the image to one half size in Photoshop. For example, start by scanning at 600 dpi. Next, in Photoshop, apply a slight blur or despeckle filter. Now, down sample the image to one half of the desired pixel size. Lastly, sharpen the image a little using the USM filter. You might give that a try to see if it helps.

Also, I think some scanner software comes with a de-screen filter that is supposed to help. But, I think that filter is for scanning printed material such as magazines etc.

Return to posts index

Yaron Bar
Thanks !
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:12:01 pm

Great -

That worked absolutely fine for me .

Thanks a lot !

Y.

Return to posts index

Art Doerge
Re: Thanks !
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:41:40 pm

You're very welcome Yaron,

Like I said, I had never actually tried that so I'm glad it worked for you. BTW - In my previous post I should have said "down sample the image to one half of the pixel size" (not half of the desired pixel size). Sorry about that but apparently you understood anyway :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]