FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Shutdown Look

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ross
Windows Shutdown Look
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:00:55 pm

I've been trying to duplicate the look Windows XP gives the desktop when shutting down. When you click shutdown, windows desaturates the whole screen, but it seems to be more complicated than just a quick Shift+Ctrl+U. It doesn't desaturate completely, and what's more there seems to be a darkening of specific color ranges, especially in the reds.

If you want to see what I mean, open up a colorful image with some nice contrast, then initiate the Windows shutdown dialogue and wait a few seconds.

I'm trying to get there in as few steps as possible. I've had some luck fiddling around with Image>Adjustments>Black & White, but can't quite duplicate the effect, and I can't help feeling like there's an even simpler way to do it. I guess a better question would be "how is Windows doing it?".

...Curves, or Levels, maybe?

Return to posts index

Paul Benson
Re: Windows Shutdown Look
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:39:02 pm

Try using the Vibrance setting and lowering the value. That may be close?

Or, put a B/W image on top of the color and then change its opacity.

Pauley

Return to posts index

James Ross
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:53:15 am

I'm thinking "vibrance" is a CS4 setting, I'm on CS3. Just a black and white overlay doesn't do it because individual channels are being brightened and darkened at different levels. I've got a pretty close approximation with the Black & White settings and another layer overlaying color, with opacity of the color layer set to 8-10%.

I just can't imagine Windows doing something quite so complicated. Anybody know how Microsoft is doing it?

Return to posts index

Paul Benson
on Aug 29, 2009 at 9:39:54 pm

Yep, vibrance is in CS4. Sorry.

I know the effect you are talking about. I'll have to get to an XP machine to see if anything obvious comes out. I agree; I can't imagine the programmer doing anything too complex for that effect.

You could 'reverse engineer' it. Make a color gradient in PS and have it viewable on screen. Do the XP 'shutdown' and then hit 'print screen'. Cancel the shutdown and paste the image (which should be a copy of the screen that was displayed when you hit print screen). You can then use the eyedropper tool to see the delta between the original and the new color.

Pauley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]