FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop cutting images in half dynamically?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Schaefer
Photoshop cutting images in half dynamically?
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:07:11 pm

I have a folder full of images that need to be cut in half. Since there are several hundred of them, doing this manually would be quite tedious. Is there anyway to automate Photoshop to take each image, cut it in half, then save each half as a new jpg? Some of the images will have different widths so it will have to determine on its own where to cut it in half (in terms of x position).

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Photoshop cutting images in half dynamically?
on Aug 5, 2009 at 5:09:23 am

Open one image.

Open the "actions" tab.

Record a new action.

Select the menu >Image>Canvas Size

In the Canvas window select "percent" as your unit measure and write 50. For the anchor select the upper middle square. Click OK.

In your actions tab, click STOP.

Close your image and don't save. If you want, you can open another image and test your new action in it.

Go to your menu >File >Automate >Batch

Select your new recorded Action

Choose your Source folder

Choose a destination folder (don't overwrite, you can make a mistake and this is not undoable).

Click OK and go for a cup of coffe.

*Remember to rate the posts. This is a free service. Free for you and free for us. We are here just for the fun.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaefer
on Aug 5, 2009 at 5:07:36 pm

Excellent! I cant believe I missed that, its so simple! Anyways thats exactly what I was looking for, I knew there was a way.

My action involves cutting the image in half and then exporting the image as a jpg. During my export action, I save it as a JPG at 100 quality (I need high res images). During the automated batch, when the image is exported it pops up a JPEG Options dialogue box. I dont really need to set any other settings, so any idea how to just suppress this box? Its a pain to have to sit here and hit OK for each and every image. Kind of defeats the purpose of automating a batch....

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:27:44 pm

You can simply include the SAVE step in your action...

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]