FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layers from PC generated PSD files not showing on MAC apps

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Sulsky
Layers from PC generated PSD files not showing on MAC apps
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:19:53 pm

I have been generating layered PSD files using CS on a PC for years and importing them into other apps on both the PC and MAC. I just upgraded my MAC from Tiger to Leopard and installed FCS 3. Using the same PSD files that were working last week, neither Motion or Final Cut will import the layers. Only the merged layer is imported. The PSD files were saved with the layers and alpha options checked and Maximum Compatibility set.

I installed trial versions of PS4 on both my MAC and PC. The layers show up on the PC version. They do not show up on the MAC. Nothing has changed in the images. My goal was to use a MAC Adobe Photoshop installation to open PC generated PSD files and the "save as" function to generate a version that FCS 3 apps could open correctly.

My images have over 20 layers and it is not efficient to export the layers as separate files in the PC and combine them in the MAC. Is there a solution for this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Paul Sulsky
Apple Final Cut Studio Master Trainer
Avid Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Paul Sulsky
Adobe layered image problem resolved.
on Aug 17, 2009 at 1:37:06 pm

Motion 4 and FCP 7 import these images correctly. It turns out that the first three images I tried were either corrupted or the original single layer drawings.

Kudos to Apple engineering, specifically Charles Meyers. I reported this to Apple via the Provide Motion Feedback and was contacted by Charles three hours later. He had me send the problem files for evaluation. The problem files did not work for him and he passed them on to Apple engineering. I’ve never had that kind of response before.

I tried other layered files that worked for me in the past and they work fine in Motion, FCP. The PC Photoshop CS generated files imported correctly. The new PC CS4 file had to be opened with CS4 on the MAC and resaved. I’m not sure why I had to resave the CS4 image but it may be because a corrupted version was already being used as an asset in my test project and was loaded in memory.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]