FORUMS: list search recent posts

PS layered file to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Argus Ray
PS layered file to Final Cut Pro
on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:27:30 am

Hi:

I'm trying to bring a layered Photoshop (version CS3) file to the timeline in Final Cut Pro (version 6) and have the layers in the PSD file appear as different video layers in the FCP timeline. I'm working on a lower-third title graphic. I wish to stagger the appearance of the elements of the lower-third graphic so as to have the graphic appear to "build" in the FCP timeline.

Processes I've tried: 1) Open a new document from the video presets in PS CS3. 2) Create the elements of color bars and text as individual layers. 3) Save the file as a PSD file-type with maximum compatibility turned on. I've also tried starting with a new document, 720x480, 72 DPI, 8-bit color, RGB, transparent background. The rest is the same as the previous process.

When I bring either of these into the FCP timeline, they appear as a single layer showing the composite effect of the combined layers.

This technique seems so simple nothing could go wrong, however....

I'll also post this in the Final Cut Pro forum.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Argus

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
Re: PS layered file to Final Cut Pro
on Jul 25, 2009 at 9:32:45 pm

If everything's working correctly, FCP brings in PSDs as SEQUENCES. (See the icon next to your psd in the browser? It should be a sequence icon, not a footage icon.) So just double-click on the psd (either in the browser or in the timeline) to open the sequence--this is where you'll see all the layers on their own video tracks.

If that doesn't work, then something's gone wrong and you should just save off the layers individually and place them in a sequence yourself.

Return to posts index

Argus Ray
on Jul 26, 2009 at 5:23:16 am

I don't recall the PSD files having a sequence icon. So, something may be going wrong. In the meantime I'll try your suggestion for a work around. Thanks.

Argus

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
on Jul 26, 2009 at 5:19:04 pm

Just try it! I bet you just didn't notice. Drag any old psd into any old fcp and double-click it.

Return to posts index

Amado Jr Ocampo
on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:37:37 am

Hi Argus,

Just save your photoshop file with layers enabled.

to do this, just go to file-save as then in the dialog box, check "layers" instead of "as a copy." When you open it up in FCP, it should have a sequence icon.

-Dos

Return to posts index

Argus Ray
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:30:06 pm

Thanks Dos, I'll give it a try.

Argus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]