This is my first time creating photoshop files for AE. I have a few questions. Thank you all in advance.
1. For HD video, is there a set template I should choose? I see the following in the presets:
- HDV, 1280 x 720
- HDV, 1440 x 1080 anamorphic
- HDV, 1920 x 1080
2. I plan on using a good amount of text. Should I do the graphics and text in Photoshop or should I do the text in AE?
3. The text is going to be rather small. How can I be sure that the text and graphics I am creating in photoshop are of high enough res for HD? I am nervous that when I complete the entire project it will be blurry and/or unreadable.
1. I'll leave this one to someone else since my answer would be long and dependent on things I don't know (i.e., the format of any live footage you might be using, you're intended output, etc.).
2. I start every project thinking in terms of reverse engineering ... what do I want the end result to be and what are the last-to-first incremental steps that will lead to that result? As part of that, I ask myself, is there any reason to use raster text from Photoshop versus vector text in AE, although depending on which version of AE you're using, you can also apply "convert to editable text" to Photoshop text within AE. Reasons can include a great deal of detailed text stylizations that might be easier to do in Photoshop. Note that, without the "convert to editable text" AE function, which to me says that I should've created the text in AE in the first place, the things you can do with raster text in AE are far more limited (i.e., harder to animate individual characters or words, scale up, change text, etc.).
3. Very dependent on questions 1 & 2, if you do make the text in PS, make it at least the same resolution as you plan to work in AE (or even larger) and test final output with small sections before doing your whole project and getting to the end only to realize the text is too small or something similar.