FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Filenames Be Added To Photos Automatically?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Brown
Can Filenames Be Added To Photos Automatically?
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:05:05 am

I am making a DVD slideshow to play on the TV and I want the viewers to be able to identify the photos.

To this end I want to print the filename of each photo actually inside the photo, near the bottom. (I don't want the filename under the picture).

I can do this manually but as several hundred pictures are involved it would be a mammoth task.

Is there a way of getting the filenames INSIDE the photos automatically?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Harrington
Re: Can Filenames Be Added To Photos Automatically?
on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:35:19 pm

Look up Russel Brown's site.... he has some free scripts for this

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Ian Brown
on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:49:21 pm

Thanks Richard ........ Dr. Brown's Caption Maker seems just the thing.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 15, 2009 at 2:31:17 am

No problem... I've used his scripts before... the man is top notch

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 15, 2009 at 1:40:25 am

hi ian, that may be tough as most slide show programs display metadata automatically but don't hose the photo by overlaying said data on top, but use an area outside the pic. however, slide show exports from adobe lightroom can be made to do this easily enough. what platform are you on? if apple, there may be an easy applescript solution as well. cheers,
jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Ian Brown
on Jul 15, 2009 at 7:33:30 am

Thanks Jiggy.

I am using Final Cut Pro 6 to produce the slideshow as it will appear on a normal DVD. It is not designed to demonstrate the magnificence of the photos but simply to display (entertainingly) what pictures are available and also a means of identifying them ......... basically it is a glorified Contact Sheet.

The Dr. Brown solution was fine but unfortunately on the first attempt the info was not in the TV safe area!

So the images in FCP's timeline will need reducing to stop the name being cut off.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Harrington
on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:17:20 am

Run the Slideshow DVD Action (Inset) on the new files. I wrote it.

Its in the Video Set in the Actions panel.

You may need to click submenu to load it.

Suggest you check out Photoshop for Video book and podcast

Return to posts index

Ian Brown
on Jul 17, 2009 at 8:08:02 am

MAGIC !!!!!

THANKS !!!!!

Actually I was clueless (and still am) about Actions and it took a good quarter of an hour to find your action and make a droplet.

A few minutes later I was testing it out on some slides and it does exactly what it says on the tin!

However, I did notice a couple of minor problems (what's that about looking gift-horses in the mouth?).

1. I was expecting to press the go button and all the photos would be converted, but it only did one at a time and I had to keep pressing "Continue". No great problem, but was I doing something wrong? Is there a way to avoid pressing "Continue" for each picture?

2. Also, the converted slides were opened on the desktop and I had to close each one individually and click "Save" each time. Any way of automating this process as well?

Actually, it's taken longer to write this than it did to manually press "Continue" etc.!!!

Return to posts index

Ian Brown
on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:37:32 am

I found this script on the Adobe Photoshop (Mac) Forum:-

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/290346

It actually puts the filename inside the photo.

The default setting for the font size was 30, which was much too small so I altered it to 100, which appears about right.

I believe the font and colour etc. can also be customised.

Unless I am using it incorrectly, like Richard's script, it only seems to do one photo at a time.

I don't know whether it can be used to batch-process automatically.

Return to posts index

Ian Brown
on Jul 19, 2009 at 10:56:58 am

I have solved the problem to using the "Filename Includer" script automatically.

I eventually recorded the script as an action.

Then I selected a folder full of photos and applied the Image Processor to it to make copies and I enabled the action to add filenames.

One hundred photos took around 3 minutes to be processed automatically..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]