FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop TIFFs won't work with Final Cut

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Williamson
Photoshop TIFFs won't work with Final Cut
on May 8, 2009 at 1:17:22 pm

Using Richard Harrington's "Photoshop for Video" podcasts entitled "Making Lower Thirds - Part 1 & 2", I made my own lower third using Photoshop CS4. I followed his procedures, saved the graphic out as a TIFF (with an alpha) and when I tried to import the resulting TIFF into Final Cut, I got the message "File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown." I made several tweaks, from changing the pixels specs to collapsing the layers down to a single layer and none worked.

So I resorted to making the graphic in After Effects and saved the graphic out as a Photoshop layer file and bringing it into Photoshop, saved it out as a TIFF the same way Richard described in the end of the podcast "Making Lower Thirds - Part 2". This time, Final Cut did accept the TIFF-- but the alpha channel did not transfer. I got a white background around the graphic but cannot make it transparent. I have tried changing the Alpha channel in Final Cut the using Item Properties>Format>None/Ignore(?!) to Straight/Black/White and none of them work or make the white background transparent. However, the same file shows up in PS

I have resorted to saving the After Effects created files out of Photoshop as PNG files, which seems to be working. (This PNG save technique was based on an article found on dvcreators.com.) Yet, I'm still mystified why I cannot get a TIFF to work. Thanks for any suggestions to this post!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Photoshop TIFFs won't work with Final Cut
on May 10, 2009 at 5:54:07 pm

Make sure you don't have the transparency box checked in the Save Dialog window

Yes Alpha Channel
No Save Transparency

Also make sure you start with a video preset and are in the right color mode.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Al Williamson
Re: Photoshop TIFFs won't work with Final Cut
on May 11, 2009 at 12:35:48 pm

It was the preset. I copied all the original layers to a Photoshop video preset and it worked. Thanks so much for responding!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]