FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colors look wrong on OS X in Photoshop CS2

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Meddick
Colors look wrong on OS X in Photoshop CS2
on May 5, 2009 at 2:36:26 am

Hi Photoshopers,

I am having some issue with some recent photos I took. They are JPEG images from a DSLR. These images were of a subject matter that was particularity blue (underwater scene with cool lighting). When viewed in photoshop CS2 and preview (on OS X) they appear to have a "solarized" effect, where everything blue goes a single "purple" colour. So instead of having a rich variation of blue tones, everything is a single colour purple.

I have some similar photos that I took a year ago, these do not seem to be affected.

This issue does not appear to happen when I open the files on a PC or when I use GIMP (on PC or Mac).

The jpegs all used embedded sRGB IEC61866-2.1 profile and I am using a custom monitor profile that I created.

I initially thought this must be a color profile issue. But I changed profiles in "assign profile.." in photoshop and couldn't get anything that looked right. I also changed from using my custom color profile for my display to a generic profile. Neither of these fixed the issue.

The issue appears to be (most obvious) on the blue color channel. As the red and green look fine when viewed separately in photoshop.

Other photos I have that are not particularly blue do not seem to be affected.

So to summarize:
JPEG Viewed on XP Pro in Windows default viewer = Looks good
JPEG Viewed on XP Pro in GIMP = Looks good
JPEG Viewed on OS X 10.5.6 in Finder/Preview = Looks Wrong
JPEG Viewed on OS X 10.5.6 in Photoshop CS2 = Looks Wrong
JPEG Viewed on OS X 10.5.6 in GIMP = Looks good

I also saved a jpeg & tiff from GIMP on XP Pro machine and imported into my OS X machine.
JPEG looked wrong in finder/preview and photoshop, but looked correct in GIMP.
TIFF looked wrong in photoshop only. It looked CORRECT in Preview and Gimp.

System Specs:
Mac Book Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 677 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 8600M GT
OSX 10.5.6

XP Pro Machine is an older AMD machine.

Return to posts index

Alex Meddick
Re: Colors look wrong on OS X in Photoshop CS2
on May 6, 2009 at 3:16:21 am

I have since checked the older similar photos and they are affected by the same issue. As they are not so blue the effects were not so obvious. But I have no way of knowing if they were "always" affected or if this is something new.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ta,
Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]