FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scanning photos at 1200 dpi and Save As... in PS CS 4

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Red
Scanning photos at 1200 dpi and Save As... in PS CS 4
on Apr 30, 2009 at 6:15:55 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project for a film/documentary movie, and we are scanning lots and lots of old photographs, into the computer (Mac dual 2.5 GHz G5, Tiger 10.4.11), with Photoshop CS 4. we are scanning in at 1,200 DPI resolution, for the best possible resolution, to later add these photos into the Final Cut Pro documentary/film project. We are using both an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner and an Epson Stylus CX4400 all-in-one, scanner.

I've been researching online, but i'm more of an audio guy, not a photoshop/color guy. so im really confused, with all the talk on "color profiles", and what these settings all mean. when i search this setting feature: "Embed Color Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1", i get alot of talk about Monitor Color Profiles... we are using an Apple 23" Cinema Display, if that makes any difference, here.

After i scan my photos in at 1,200 dpi, inside Photoshop CS 4 (making sure to keep the checkboxes "Dust Removal" and "Color Restoration" under the customize scan dialog box, un-checked), and i go to "File > Save As..." the dialog box that pops-up, has a checkbox at the bottom, that states: "Embed Color Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1". this checkbox is already checked, by Default.

In wanting our photos to be scanned-in at the highest resolution possible, all naturally, should i leave this checkbox checked, or should i un-check it? i had scanned in several photos, both leaving it checked and also un-checked this setting, saving the photo's as .TIF files. nothing seems to be different.

can anyone quickly explain, in laments terms, what this might do? i don't want a lengthy technical explanation, as i probably won't understand it, anyway - just really need to know, should i leave it checked, as by Default, or should i continue to un-check this setting?

thanks for any help in advance :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]