FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to keep the clarity when reducing an image?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Daniels
how to keep the clarity when reducing an image?
on Apr 25, 2009 at 4:59:24 pm

need to take several large images, reduce them down to a montage, but I need to keep the clarity. How do I go about doing this? Currently in CS3 and CS4 I have done this:

I have gone to edit>preferences>general settings and set the Image Interpolation to Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction) setting and really didnt notice a difference.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: how to keep the clarity when reducing an image?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 1:51:19 pm

There really is not a way to have the same clarity in a lo res image as in your high res image, it is a matter of pixel physics.

In a 10" 300 dpi image, you have 3000 pixels to represent your image. If you go down to 1" you only have 300 pixels to represent the same image.

You can try to cheat this by adding some extra sharpening, or duplicate your layer set the top layer to mode hard light, and then turn the opacity of the layer down sp you don't over sharpen (you may need to lighten or darken your image depending on if the starting pixels were high or low key).

Return to posts index

Paul Benson
on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:44:40 am

Are you thinking about just changing the dpi? It may look like you have a smaller image (with the same clarity if you zoom into it), but it really is the same image. You could make your montage a higher dpi than your original photos to get a similar effect.

Pauley

Return to posts index

Kira Woodmansee
on May 6, 2009 at 2:06:07 am

When I reduce images from print resolution (300 ppi) to web resolution (72 ppi), I find it works best to do successive image size reductions alternating with mild sharpening. So if I'm starting with an 11" x 14" image at 300 ppi that I want to put on my website, I open the Image Size window and reduce the resolution from 300 to 200, then use an Unsharp Mask filter at anywhere from 10 - 50%. I repeat those two steps to decrease resolution from 200 to 100, 100 to 72, and finally when it's at 72 ppi, I reduce the dimensions to those that I want.

This has given me pretty good results in all cases but one: screen shots. If I take a screen shot, particularly a website with a lot of text, and need to display it at 300 px wide or something small like that, I've found that doing a very minor (like 0.1) Gaussian blur filter BEFORE I reduce it prevents the final image from appearing too pixelated.

Hope that helps!

Kira Woodmansee
Event Coordinator, Boulder Digital Arts
events@boulderdigitalarts.com
http://www.boulderdigitalarts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]