FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hues to Luminance values

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alejandro Benavente
Hues to Luminance values
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:37:39 am

Hi!
Here's a tricky one. I'm working with a physical map in which heights are represented with the usual color scale (i.e. the hue varies with the height of the landmarks, resulting in green plains and brownish mountains).
Now, I need to take this info to my 3d sofware as a heightmap to displace a plane and get a nice 3d terrain. The trick is that I need the heigh scale represented as luminance values, and I can't find a way to convert the image in photoshop.
I think the Gradient Map tool should be the way to go, yet this applies the gradient to luminance values; I would need it to map it to hue values instead...

I have achieved something quite close playing around with the Colorama filter in After Effects, yet I'd rather stick with Ps for this task.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Alex.

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
Re: Hues to Luminance values
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:24:25 pm

Well, I found a not perfect but quite decent solution; I'll post it in case someone finds it useful.

I first changed my color space to Lab. Looking at the channels, the info in the Luminance channel can obviously be discarded, and the "b" channel is almost flat. So I copied the info in "a" channel to a new layer; get back to RGB and that's it.
This worked for me because my image grades only from green to red, not getting down to blues nor up to magentas, which would both make use of "b" channel in Lab. I'm loosing some info nontheless, but as my work is not for scientific purposes I can live with it.

Hope someone finds it useful, or better yet, that anyone can post a more precise method.

Cheers.
Alex.

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
on Apr 29, 2009 at 8:38:08 am

My God, this already looks like a blog rather than a thread!

Anyway, just for the info: Investigating further, I found the very interesting Adobe Pixel Bender tools, which probably would be the way to go for an extremely precise solution.
It would require some effort though.

Good luck if anyone wants to try it out!
A.

Return to posts index

Joseph Francis
on May 28, 2009 at 6:00:46 am

I'd have to see your colors to see if they are arbitrary or if they lend themselves easily to some sort of conversion, but offhand I'd suggest the Black and White adjustment layer. Play with the sliders until the highest color is the brightest gray, and the lowest color is the darkest gray.

And try to work in 16-bits. Your height field will be happier later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]