FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPI Questions,,,

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
DPI Questions,,,
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:47:21 pm

Hi, I'm basically a video guy with who can use photoshop and a client wants me to design an ad for him for a local newspaper with these specs: Screen: 85 line at dpi - photos and 600 dpi at 300 line - line.

I never heard those terms before: 85 line and 600dpi at 300 line. I just thought print work had to be 300 dpi. There will text and some IStock Photo stills. Thanks for any direction with this.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: DPI Questions,,,
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:46:27 pm

What you are dealing with is print technology language LPI (lines per inch) in contrast with DPI (dots per inch) which is screen technology language.

Lines per inch in print is the spacing of the grid where the head of the printer is able to make dots of various sizes on paper. Dots per inch is the spacing of the grid on a screen that is not able to adjust the size of the dots. The ability for printers to adjust the size of the dots or lines per inch gives LPI a much better visual quality than DPI. To account for this you generally need to use twice the DPI when creating your graphics for half the LPI.

Newspaper graphics that have 85 LPI can be created at 170 DPI

High quality print photos at 300 LPI would be created at 600 DPI.

Google these terms to read more:
LPI vs DPI
LPI (lines per inch)
Newspaper DPI
etc...

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
Re: DPI Questions,,,
on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:52:03 pm

Thank you so much Abraham, I appreciate it. Never heard of LPI.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]