FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Video in Adobe Photoshop (CS 4)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Parkhurst
Editing Video in Adobe Photoshop (CS 4)
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:56:30 am

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Photoshop function that now allows for video frames to be edited (like one would do with a photograph). The editing part seems to work just fine. However, I've spent hours and hours trying to figure out how to properly export my quicktime video from Photoshop.

Basically, what I'm doing is importing my video via the Import>Video Frames to Layers menu item. Once I do this each frame of video comes up as a separate layer (which is great!). I then go ahead and make adjustments to each layer (different changes for different layers/frames). However, when I go to Export>Render Video (and select All Frames from the Range selection) and hit okay, it never seems to work. Often what I get is a quicktime movie of just the first frame. Or if I go back to my Photoshop file and make sure the "eye" is highlighted for every layer (ie frame) and then do the export, whichever layer is the last to have the "eye" highlighted is the one frame that gets produced upon my export.

What am I doing wrong? So frustrating to go and make changes to every frame in a 5 second clip and then not be able to properly output.

In advance, thank you so much!

Ciao,
Chris

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Editing Video in Adobe Photoshop (CS 4)
on Mar 6, 2009 at 1:32:14 pm

In order to export video, you need CS4 extended.

If you have that. do not use the import as layers command, simply open the clip with File Open

When done, File > Export > Render Video

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

ekim wahs
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:19:07 pm

As Richard said, if you have the Extended version just opening the video instead of importing frames is a better way to go. Using Frames to Layers does not create a frame animation by default. If you enable the Make Frame Animation option in the Import dialog, it will create a frame animation that will then be able to be rendered as video. If you didn't do that you can use the Make Frames from Layers command from the Animation panel flyout menu to create a frame animation from the layers.

Mike Shaw
Photoshop QE

Return to posts index

Chris Parkhurst
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:52:28 pm

Hi Mike and Richard,

Thank you for responding to the post.

I actually do have CS4 Extended. I'm able to Import the quicktime video without a problem. What I'm trying to do is make Photoshop changes for each frame. I am able to get a layer for every frame (in the Layer Palette) by using the Make Frames From Layers command. (I also seem to be able to achieve this if I Import>Video Frames to Layers.)

After I work on each frame (ie layer) I seem to be unable to then properly export. I do actually get a Quicktime movie when I Export>Render Video, but the video ends up only being a still image of whatever the last layer was that I had highlighted with the "eyeball" (in the Layer Palette). Make sense? Am I just having some sort of layer issue? It's definitely frustrating to go through and make color, curves, filter changes to each separate frame, only to have the last highlighted layer/frame (in the Layer Palette) export as my video.

Thanks again, guys.

Director, Editor
http://www.BarangFilms.com

Return to posts index

ekim wahs
on Mar 6, 2009 at 8:02:35 pm

With your current workflow- making layers from the video there is not an animation created from the frames. If you open the Animation panel you will either see all the layers listed with a duration going across the entire timeline (timeline mode) or a single frame (frame mode). If you use the Make Frames from Layers command it will create an animation that will turn each layer on in sequence that can then be rendered as a video.

What kind of edits are you making to the frames? Is there a reason why you cannot make the edits to each frame within the video instead of making layers from frames?

Mike Shaw
Photoshop QE

Return to posts index

Chris Parkhurst
on Mar 6, 2009 at 11:55:29 pm

Hi Mike,

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

I can make edits to each individual frame without making layers from frames, true. Basically all edits are done on the one layer.

Let me give you an example of what I'm trying to do. If I make a change by using the Blur tool to a specific portion of a frame (say background behind my subject), I can create a depth of field (that I didn't originally have). And I can do this to a frame no problem. However, I'd like to be able to do this to the whole clip without having to manually create the blur on each frame. Not only would this be laborious, but every frame would be slightly different than the last. I'd want the same exact Blur throughout all frames of the clip.

Knowhatimean? Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

- Chris

Director, Editor
http://www.BarangFilms.com

Return to posts index

ekim wahs
on Mar 7, 2009 at 12:13:16 am

If you can get the blur you want via a filter. You could open the video, convert to a Smart Object and use a Smart filter to blur and mask out what you don't want blurred. This will be applied across the entire clip. If the blurred section is staying the same across the entire clip, you could also dupe the video layer, Rasterize the one on top, Blur as you want, then mask out what you don't want blurred.

Mike Shaw
Photoshop QE

Return to posts index

Jaimz Asmundson
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:16:10 am

I haven't seen this answered anywhere on the internet and I just had this exact same problem, or mistake I should say, so I thought I would add to this old thread with a concrete answer. Having spent the last hour or two trying to figure this out, I have the solution.

You no longer need to export an image sequence from Final Cut Pro and then import said sequence into photoshop as layers. This is the old way.

1. Export a Quicktime file from Final Cut Pro, etc.

2. Go File>Open in Photoshop.

3. Edit Away and then when you are done, go to File>Export>Render Movie

If you're stuck like the poor schmuck above and did it the old way (and really don't feel like doing it again), don't fret - it's normal for you to have an exported video of only one frame, it's because you've gone about it the wrong way.

Go to File>Scripts>Export Layers to Files ... this will spit out a new Image Sequence which you can load into FCP (or whatever you're using).

Return to posts index

Noah Baglione
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:32:16 pm

Hello!

Don't own AE, so working with PS:Extended (CS5), and an uncompressed HDV QT file, imported, with FCP per an HDV preset, edited, then exported, uncompressed, and now successfully opened in PS:Ex for dirt removal.

I've since touched up the afflicted frames, and am now left to Export.

So now I'm left to wonder, what might be the proper render settings in order to have the video exported as an uncompressed HDV QT file, in exactly the same format it came in as, such that when I re-import the file into FCP, there won't be any discrepancy in video quality between the PS:Ex edited clip and the rest of the non-PS:Ex-edited FCP clips.

Unfortunately, I'm not at my place with the computer and software at the moment, so I'm not terribly familiar with the Export screen off the top of my head, but wanted to get the inquiry out there, hoping I could get right to it, upon my return.

But with regard to the Render settings, and the drop down video compression field, I recall seeing a large variety of compression formats, e.g. HDV, 2 uncompressed options to choose from, QuickTime, and other such values.

Intimidated by all the choices, I was left to turn to CreativeCOW for help.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

randy isadore
on Dec 6, 2009 at 12:12:45 am

i have photoshop 4 extended but no Video Frames to Layers under File ยป Import.

i installed the latest quicktime player but that made no difference.

any suggestions on how i can access that option?

thanks

Return to posts index

Jaimz Asmundson
on Dec 13, 2009 at 9:10:57 pm

Read my post above, you want to just open the quicktime file under File>Open

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]