FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop transparency to alpha channel

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Jurgenson
Photoshop transparency to alpha channel
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:29:03 pm

Is there an EASY way to convert transparency to an alpha channel in Photoshop? I know about using quick mask, and loading and saving selections as alpha, but it seems that Photoshop, being a very sophisticated program, should have "one click" transparency to alpha channel conversion. This would be invaluable in video production.

Return to posts index

ronaldo montalvo
Re: Photoshop transparency to alpha channel
on Jan 28, 2009 at 8:07:01 pm

maybe try the action under video actions called "alpha channel from visible layer". this might work for what you need, but you need to turn off any layers you don't want alpha for. you could also create a new action and assign an open F-key command. start recording, command click the layer menu with the artwork you need the alpha for, then select "save selection as channel" and stop recording. when you hit the F-key it should create a new alpha channel from whatever layer you have selected instead of the just the visible layer.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 29, 2009 at 3:44:40 pm

I wrote the action.. it works well. You can also combine it with the Image Processor Script to batch process a folder of iamges.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Feb 9, 2009 at 7:56:12 pm

OK
I'm missing something. I looked in my Actions folder and there is no "alpha channel from visible layer".
Where do I find Video Actions?

Del

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

ronaldo montalvo
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:13:17 pm

i don't think you'll see an individual action file for that. it's part of the file in the pshop actions folder called "Video Actions.atn". look at the ACTIONS menu under WINDOW in pshop. you should see the "alpha from visible layer command" under the list of actions in the video actions menu. if for some reason you don't have it you can always create and record your own video actions.

Return to posts index

Ben Corbin
on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:27:43 am

I had the same problem, no actions appeared in my action panel except default. Click on the twirl down menu for actions and go to Load Actions. Then find your PS folder and go to Photoshop/Presets/Actions. All of my missing actions were stored in that folder. Just open them up and you are ready to go!

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Mar 4, 2009 at 2:20:31 pm

When I went to "Load Actions" in the twirl down menu, the actions folder appeared empty. But Explorer showed the six stock .atn files in the folder. I found I could drag the desired file from Explorer to the "Load Actions" window, and the actions would load.

Thanks everybody. This is a big help. It's always fun to find hidden goodies that make your life easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]