FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! - Creating Action(s) for Batch Operation

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Wharton
Help! - Creating Action(s) for Batch Operation
on Aug 3, 2008 at 12:48:37 pm

Hi Photoshop people -

Having a real issue I can't get to the bottom of. Any pointers massively helpful as a project depends upon it...

OK, so I have thousands of folders (named uniquely with a code), each folder contains six PNGS layers (all called the same names in each folder)which make up a character: Body, Hair, Open Eyes, Closed Eyes, Pupils, Mouth.

I need to be able to open these layers, comp them in the right order, and then save them out in three different combinations (with some layers switched on/off).

I'm no action/batch guru, just a producer knowing not quite enough.

So, I've created an action opening the 6 files in one of these folders - fine.

I've created an action to comp the layers together in the right order to make the first of the required comps - fine.

I've created an action to save the comp as a new image.

Individually I run the three actions together (as a new action) and it's all good.

BUT when I try to batch the above, it:

Opens the first folder
opens the files in it
does the comp

Doesn't close the original files

Then (bizarrely) opens up the ORIGINAL folder I made the first action with (the one opening the 6 files) and gives an error saying a layer isn't available. i.e. because it's trying to manipulate a layer it thinks it has on the comped image, but instead it's now pointing to the first image in the ORIGINAL file which has only the one layer...

Now, I first recorded the comp action where it saved and closed all the files at the end. But when I batched it seemed to ignore the close actions and went onto loading up the next first image and gave the error again. I thought maybe I should let the batch mechanism close the files in the options... but to no avail.

This should be simple, I think (!) but I'm probably missing something subtle (or not so subtle).

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ben (in desperate need)

Return to posts index

Ben Wharton
Re: Help! - Creating Action(s) for Batch Operation
on Aug 3, 2008 at 12:50:38 pm

Just to add: I'm using CS3

Return to posts index

Ben Wharton
Re: Help! - Creating Action(s) for Batch Operation
on Aug 3, 2008 at 5:58:48 pm

I guess it's Sunday and everyone's doing something a little more meaningful with their lives rather than thinking about photoshop actions...

Sigh!

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]