FORUMS: list search recent posts

day into night

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Moses
day into night
on Aug 2, 2008 at 5:38:20 pm

Can you give me a clue how to make a summer day shot into winter night shot in PS?
Some tips or tutorial maybe. IMG_4507
I have experience in PS, but this task seems difficult.

Return to posts index

Max Moses
Re: day into night
on Aug 2, 2008 at 9:33:23 pm

thanx, I've almost done it. See what it looks like.
If you have remarks, please, post it here.

dvorzovi

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 6, 2008 at 5:55:03 am

That's looking like a pretty good start. You've reduced the saturation, darkened the image, and added a blue tint which are all good things.

I would say the remaining issues would be the light sources that you would expect to be 'on' at night time have been darkened as well, and your water looks very different (is that the same water from the original shot?). I would expect to still see shadows/reflections in the water.

It's usually easier to get good results with day for night using source material that was shot at dusk or in overcast conditions without such strong directional lighting (from the sun in this case).

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Max Moses
on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:06:07 am

Thanks, Darby!

Water is different, 'cause it's frozen. You're right. It's intended to be a winter shot.

I also see a problem with strong direct sunlight, but this is the only way to make a shot - in the evening, they turn bridge illumination on, and I don't need the bridge to be illuminated. So i thought it would be easier to dissimulate ambient light than to retouch hundreds of light bulbs.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 7, 2008 at 6:15:24 pm

[Max Moses] "I also see a problem with strong direct sunlight, but this is the only way to make a shot - in the evening, they turn bridge illumination on, and I don't need the bridge to be illuminated. So i thought it would be easier to dissimulate ambient light than to retouch hundreds of light bulbs."

Good call, it all depends on what look you're going for. I was wrong to assume that you'd want the light bulbs on.

[Max Moses] "Water is different, 'cause it's frozen. You're right. It's intended to be a winter shot."

I think shadows on the frozen water still might help. You should be able to create shadows using the original image. Try duplicating the blue channel, inverting it, playing with levels and painting out the areas you don't want to be shadowed (basically everywhere but under the bridge). That should give you a good base for a layer mask on a 'shadow' layer. Here's one I put together quickly from the images you posted:

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]