FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hostage with burlap bag over his head

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Cornell
Hostage with burlap bag over his head
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:48:38 pm

Hello all,

I am making an animated short film and I have a scene where the main character has a burlap bag over his head. I want to show from his perspective (inside the burlap bag looking out) The idea is that you can't really make out whats going on outside but you understand that this is someone with a bag over their head...(this is the first scene in the animated short, there is no scene before this showing the bag being put on his head...so it has to be recognizable what is happening)

I have found some good burlap textures from stock photo sites however I don't know what the best way to go about making it subtly transparent. Any good ideas? (might be a question more for photoshop)

I appreciate the help

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Hostage with burlap bag over his head
on Jul 17, 2008 at 12:18:16 am

Most burlap textures will have some natural light and dark areas that will roughly correspond to areas that are closer to the camera (better lit) and areas that are slightly recessed (slightly shadowed). Have you tried creating a layer mask from the RGB channels of the layer itself? You can use levels once you've pasted the image into a layer mask to better define the opaque/transparent portions and blur it slightly to feather the mask if necessary.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

Graham Cornell
Re: Hostage with burlap bag over his head
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:10:11 pm

Cool thanks for the tip darby, I have been playing around with your tips and that really helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]