FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting an Entire Screen automatically?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tam Lynch
Selecting an Entire Screen automatically?
on May 29, 2008 at 4:13:36 am

Hi all,

I'm new, but I've been a fan of all of the tutorials here for years! I just have one question that has baffled me for years that I cannot find the answer to (and perhaps the answer is, it's impossible).

Is there any way to automatically have Photoshop select what is currently showing on the screen? Ie - without my having to use the mouse to drag a marquee.

The reason I ask is that I work with photos and often get to a point where I am extremely happy with the bit I can see visually and when I go to select or even drag rulers - the edges scroll whenever I get near them or it just doesn't select at that exact pixel or it moves and I forget where it was exactly it's very frustrating.

Can it be done? If not natively then perhaps with a plugin? Or is there something I can do with actions (haven't gotten into actions as yet).

I appreciate this could be a really dumb question so I thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Tam

Return to posts index

Charles Trippe
Re: Selecting an Entire Screen automatically?
on May 31, 2008 at 9:15:54 am

If you mean by selecting all pixels in an image, go to the select menu and click "all". Alternatively, you can press crtl+a, if you ate on a Windows machine.

Return to posts index

Tam Lynch
on Jun 1, 2008 at 1:31:40 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response - but not quite what I was after. I guess i wasn't very clear, I am trying to find a way to select only that of the image that is currently visible on the screen. Ignoring the rest, ie using the screen size to crop (most of my stuff is only for my friends on blogs so it doesnt' need to be print size).

I just find selecting by hand impossible when the screen scrolls all over the place as soon as you go near the edge.

Return to posts index

Charles Trippe
on Jun 1, 2008 at 9:53:47 am

Oh, I understand what you mean now.

I do not know of a quick and easy solution at the moment, however, I will research the subject and respond if I happen to find anything useful.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Jun 1, 2008 at 3:49:27 pm

Instead of using the select tool have you tried using the crop tool with the size (width, height & resolution) set to your final dimensions? I may be misunderstanding what you trying to do.

Return to posts index

Joe Rugby
on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:14:48 pm

On a Mac> shift-control-apple-4 will give you a crosshair pointer you can drag around to copy your selection to the clipboard.

L.O.A.

Return to posts index

jeff Kelley
on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:28:22 pm

The crop tool sounds right to me. It would seem a bit easier than trying to create a screen to the exact dimension that you final image will be. With the crop took you can set it up exactly as you wish before cropping.

I do not believe you will find a solution to do it the other way.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jun 10, 2008 at 8:21:30 pm

When I've started a project of one size - say 720x486 and then import a larger layer and cmd-t to resize it, often there are elements of that layer outside of view and if I move the layer I move those unwanted items back into view. If I use the cmd-a to select all and crop the image before moving new layers all those extraneous items are removed and I can work the layers to new positions without extra stuff to get rid of. Is that what you are asking about?

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]