FORUMS: list search recent posts

tga - alphachannel

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gunnar Kordestani
tga - alphachannel
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:28:36 am

hello everybody,

I have a cutout in a photo here, the rest around is transparent.
To further use it in dps velocity I want to save it as a tga file. What is the trick to get an alphachannel that uses the transparent parts.

when I save as tga and then open the file again in PS (CS2) the alpha channel always is pure white. In the 'save as' dialog I can't click the 'alpha channel' checkbox (it's there, but not available).

Maybe I need to say 'add layer mask > reveal selection'. This gives me a mask, but I don't manage to make this an alphachannel.

thx for your help ...gunnar

Return to posts index

ekim wahs
Re: tga - alphachannel
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:32:29 pm

To get Targa with Alpha versus Transparency you need to use the Photoshop 7 plug-in. In Photoshop 7 Targa was changed to use alpha instead of transparency, but we got a huge number of complaints about the behavior change and had to change it back in 7.01. The plug-in will work in later versions of the application. If running CS3 on Leopard it requires running under Rosetta to get the plug-in to work. If you are using CS3 you can also use Render Video and render a QuickTime Targa image sequence of a single frame to get the desired behavior.

Windows:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=1544&fileID=1478

Mac:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=1543&fileID=1477

Mike Shaw
Photoshop QE

Return to posts index

gunnar Kordestani
Re: tga - alphachannel
on Feb 11, 2008 at 5:17:41 am

hm, the thing I was looking for I finally found myself by just clicking the "new mask" (or so) button in the bottom of the "Channels". Then 'save as' tga > alphachannel > 32 bit.... (CS2 here by the way)

Now I am a little confused about what you are talking here....

thx anyway

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]