Question regarding Printing a 40" x 27" poster

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Di Lalla
Question regarding Printing a 40" x 27" poster
on Jan 7, 2008 at 8:30:50 pm

Application Photoshop cs2

Let me see if I can word this correctly:

I am making a 40"x 27" poster in photoshop cs2 and I have a question regarding Resolution (dpi) vs Document size.

98% of the artwork will come from a High Res photo. The photo is 42" x 28" at 72dpi. If I remember correctly, posters have to be printed at 300dpi at whatever size you want. Is this true? If so, I would have to bump my high res photo from 42" x 28" 72dpi to 300dpi; I would imagine it would loose some resolution. So i guess the main question would be can someone print posters at 72dpi if given a high res photo that will be cropped to 40" x 27" ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Di Lalla

http://www.choppertown.net

http://www.brittown.net

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Question regarding Printing a 40" x 27" poster
on Jan 8, 2008 at 5:14:00 am

"can someone print posters at 72dpi if given a high res photo"
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the printer. They may bump it up to 300ppi in the shop, or not. They may charge for it, or not. I'd check with the printer to see what they expect in a print file.

I'd consider getting Genuine Fractals for upping resolution. It, arguably, does a great job of performing this task. I'm a supporter of GF, some are not.

This way, you're taking control over the process - if the printer does need a 300ppi file.

OR
You could just boost your project to only 75ppi, creating a "1/4 scale" print file.

Vince

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
on Jan 8, 2008 at 2:36:31 pm

Hi,
You didn't say if you intend to have the poster offset or inkjet printed.

I'm assuming you want to print on an ink-jet ( don't even try to have it offset printed...there's no way you would get a satisfying result). You would be wasting your money.
Even for an high res. inkjet, the picture you are working with does NOT have sufficient resolution to print a quality piece.
Even for an inkjet you need good resolution..300dpi would be ideal, but 200 would work too.
Since your image is 42x28 at 72ppi you would need to upsample approx. by a factor of 300%.
Programs like Genuine Fractals Print Pro claims to be able to upsample up to 1000%,... but...don't do it. I personally think it's a great program, I use it often...but still...it can't turn chicken sh.t into chicken sandwich ;=)
Due to its slightly different process of upsampling than Photoshop it can do a pretty decent job, but in your case it's too much of a step.

Here's what I would do: Have your image printed at 10x6.75 at 300dpi to a high res photoprinter, then have a transparency made (5x7), then have the transparency drum-scanned to your desired size (42x28) at full res (300).
That would give you in my opinion the best possible output.
Hope that helps.
Take care,
Adi

Return to posts index

Scott Di Lalla
on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:54:43 pm

thanks a million guys...this really helped me. Scott

Scott Di Lalla

http://www.choppertown.net

http://www.brittown.net

Return to posts index

Viqar Amjad
on Jan 9, 2008 at 2:26:47 pm

Dear Scott Di Lalla,

Yes! quality of your poster will desrease, when you increase the 72 dpi to 300. Remember the rule, if you are designing any poster or document size for printing, at 1st your prefereces should be adjust on 300dpi or higher in Adobe.

You have done lot of work in poster with 72dpi, then the final solution is to ask prinitng press related person about to get solution. May be he can help you out according to his machine adjustment.

One more thing, make another copy of your poster and apply 300dpi on that. If you feel your poster is still ok, then you can carry your work. I also have faced this problem like you and did experiments with dpi.

All the best

takecare

Viqar Amjad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]