FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop woes

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Nelson
Photoshop woes
on Dec 27, 2007 at 1:58:03 pm

Any and all input is appreciated,
I was recently asked to reinstall OSX 10.4 along with the .11 update by Apple tech support for a problem I was having with IWorks. In doing so, it fixed the problem but possibly caused a lot more. I was unable to open Compressor or Photoshop and, for a time, unable to access the Apple online forums. I reinstalled Compressor and Photoshop after deleting everything I could find with those names in apps., prefs., etc. Now Compressor works but in trying to burn the results in DVD Studio Pro I was unable to do so. Photoshop still does not open. I saved the error logs for both and can provide them, if that would help. It's frustrating to fix one and create several. If you have any thoughts I would love to hear from you. Thanks for your time.

G5 Quad, Tiger 10.4.11, 500GB HD, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, FCS 5/updates included, Photoshop 7/updates included, After Effects 6.5/updates included.

Make money (and love, of course) not war...

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Photoshop woes
on Dec 27, 2007 at 4:40:52 pm

Hey John, the saga continues, eh? =)

If you can post those error logs to a file sharing service, or a site somewhere, I'll take a look. No promises I'll have a solution, but I'll look!

The problem that you describe with connecting to Apple's forums sounds like it's most likely unrelated.

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

john nelson
on Dec 27, 2007 at 5:35:53 pm

Hi Darby,

Hope springs eternal, they say...

I'm heading home for lunch soon. The only way I can think of to get them to you is through the mail, but I sure don't want to pass along any 'germs'. If you know how I could get them to the file service [ does something like youtube qualify?] let me know.

Thanks again,
John

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Dec 29, 2007 at 3:59:56 am

Hi,
here's just a thought.
If you did an "archive and install" (I'm guessing you did..) you should have 2 system folders.
A new one and an old one.
You said you deleted (removed) some apps whatever you could find, maybe you missed some essential files like activation and registration files of those programs.
Most apps now put an uninstaller in the user..lib...application support folder.
I definitely would recommend to first uninstall not just remove the programs.

I had an issue a few weeks ago with upgrading to 4.11, not quite the same, but
in a way it was.

Although recommended to do an erase and install, which is the most stable,
archive and install the OS works too....

I solved my problem by letting disk warrior rebuilding my disc directory, then installed 10.4.11
Then I clean uninstalled all my programs and reinstalled. You will have to reactivate though.

Oh, by the way, it would be worth a shot, to look in your old system folder in the prefs and copy ( and overwrite the "new prefs") to the new system prefs folder.
But honestly, I myself would only do that if I had a tight deadline, like a "quickfix" before getting deeper into it, which would require more time.

I don't know if that will help you, but it may be worth a thought.

Good Luck.
Adi

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Dec 29, 2007 at 4:08:14 am

I just realized that I forgot to mention to copy the old prefs from those apps (Phoshop...) that don't work to the new prefs folder, not old system files...Sorry about that.
cheers.
Adi

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Dec 29, 2007 at 6:59:03 pm

Howdy and thanks for your suggestions. At this time I have performed an erase and install and am downloading the 4.11 I'll know soon if anything is going to work or not. Would you know if I can recapture my bookmarks or does that go away with the wind?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Dec 29, 2007 at 7:42:19 pm

If you've synced with .mac.... then yes

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Dec 29, 2007 at 9:31:04 pm

Thanks. Not using it.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Dec 31, 2007 at 1:23:35 pm

Before you erase and install, I would manually export all your bookmarks to a back-up drive,
then after install you can import them into your browser. That's how I have done it in the past,
worked for me...
Take care,
Adi

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Dec 31, 2007 at 2:01:01 pm

Thanks for the advice but I erased it, lost it and I'll, hopefully, be more wiser the next time. Also lost all my addresses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]