FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bloated AI revision file: why???

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coosbaytv
Bloated AI revision file: why???
on Oct 5, 2007 at 5:38:09 pm

Hey all!

First time here to the AI forum and I am obviously a new user.

I revised an existing AI file that was 1.5MB in size, swapped out the photos and correlating text and ended up with a 25MB file...(links below and no, the new photos are not 12MB a piece!).

http://www.nogglevideoproductions.com/GSC/FASTSIGNS_revise.ai

http://www.nogglevideoproductions.com/GSC/FASTSIGNS_jumbo_A-Frame.ai

Now, I cannot export the revision to a decent web size. I guess because the new version is now 25MB. AI tells me that the file is too large.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I supposed a different setting somewhere as far as saving was concerned.

Thanks, Jay

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Bloated AI revision file: why???
on Oct 6, 2007 at 11:30:50 am

First, Ctrl+y - or view as outlines to make sure there are no "lost" objects or stray points on yout artboard that may be increasing the actual size of your export.
Than try, File/Save As (a new file). This will often give a slight reduction in file size.
It's possible that you Pasted the rasters into the AI file instead of File/Place - This will make your file size larger. However, Placing the files probably won't make a difference regarding exporting. Check Window/Links to see if the files are linked.
You could try lowering Effect/Document Raster Effect Settings, ,reducing your output resolution, or deselecting Anti-Aliasing or compression.
Can you try opening the AI with Photoshop, to rasterize. Or, File/Save As: Adobe PDF than rasterize with photoshop.

Just some ideas :)

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Bloated AI revision file: why???
on Oct 9, 2007 at 2:30:16 pm

On your second image which is 25 mb, I did a save as and unchecked the "PDF comaptible" and it went down to 10.4mb.

Now I was able to do a save for web, on a Mac withg 5gb of ram.

Your images are embedded which makes your AI file size larger, so you select an image, choose file >> place (and check the link and replace option). Your images will now be linked rather than embedded freeing up disk space and making your saves faster (but do not delete or move the original images or the links will be lost forever or broken until relinked.

To solve your problem I recomend trying an export to tiff(72 dpi), than opening the tiff in photoshop and doing a save for web.

Since your images are embedded, we do not know their resolution, and save for web needs more ram/graphics card power to work than export.

Let us know how things turn out or if you need more help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]