FORUMS: list search recent posts

LCD TV for photo editing

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naiche Lujan
LCD TV for photo editing
on Sep 18, 2007 at 4:58:19 pm

Not sure where to post this, so I chose Photoshop, since photo-editors have to be concerned with color.

I am shopping for a solution to having a large display for my laptop and also replace my slowly decaying TV. Basically, I want to have a TV that I can both edit photos on with good color and I also want to be able to watch standard definition TV on without it looking irritatingly pixelized. I am looking at the 26" as the ideal size for me. I don't really like the plasma tv approach and it probably isn't the best anyway for photo editing. So I am looking at the Samsung and Sharp 26" LCD HDTVs.

A couple more specific questions. Are there any LCD TVs that you can calibrate (such as with a spider) or at least color correct with some sort of on-board management console? Sharp or Samsung? Are there any models that have mastered the art of pixel interpolation for dealing with lower definition sources. Is 1366x768 good enough for photo-editing on a 26" monitor?

Alternatively, can I use a large computer monitor and get a video converter such as an RCA-to-VGA cable? I am guessing that this approach will probably have a horrible looking standard def TV display.

Is this too much to ask of one monitor? Probably. Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: LCD TV for photo editing
on Sep 20, 2007 at 6:31:21 pm

Hi
Short of eCinema or Cinetal LCDs, both of which are very expensive, I'd look at 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 LCDs since they will also give you HDTV with a tuner, and larger display capabilities on the screen. SD video will look worse than HDTV because it is on the order of 6 times smaller.

You won't really be able to calibrate these monitors because LCDs still have a way to go before many become critical enough for true color rendition. You can do that with the above mentioned monitors but you are paying for it dearly. There has been a lot of progress on LCDs but they aren't WSYWYG yet. Test printing is the best way, though going through a lot of paper can get expensive. Once you see what your particular system is doing, you'll be able to compensate.

The 24

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]