FORUMS: list search recent posts

restoring/remastering old film footage - tips?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scaramanga
restoring/remastering old film footage - tips?
on Sep 13, 2007 at 2:55:29 pm

Ive recently been given the oppertunity to work on documentary that involves restoring some degraded footage thats around a century old and quite important historically. Its already been transfered to digital (not sure how well...) so im guessing its just a matter of putting it into photoshop and going through frame by frame and touching them up.

Im quite confident that i can do this but have never attempted it before and some tips would be useful... If there and any good plugins i should know about or guide on the net you could direct me to i will be eternally grateful :)

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: restoring/remastering old film footage - tips?
on Sep 14, 2007 at 11:35:12 pm

Sounds more like a question for the After Effects forum, there's plenty of genius there that can help you.
You should get a little more specific with what you need to do to the footage, maybe provide a link to some frames.
To work with video footage in Photoshop you might need to, first, create a .FLM (Filmstrip) file. This file format creates crazy huge files, so you'd need a ton of RAM.

With Photoshop, you'd probably end up doing more traditional rotoscoping, which is very time consuming. Just guessing at your needs, I'd really suggest AE, or some other dedicated post-processing app.

As far as restoration techniques, on of my fav's is applying an S-Curve to the footage.
http://dvinfo.net/articles/filmlook/broadway2.php
This can be done in PS or AE.

If you need to stabilize jumpy footage, that should be done in AE with Tracker Controls, not manually in PS.

Hope this gets you started. : )

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: restoring/remastering old film footage - tips?
on Sep 15, 2007 at 1:45:03 am

PSCS3 Extended can open up the clip

You can then use cloning nd healing tools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]