FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop File Size Save Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tonyman
Photoshop File Size Save Issue
on Aug 3, 2007 at 1:36:53 am

I have been using photoshop to do artwork and I love it. However with all my masks and layers my files are getting pretty big. I am also working with 13 by 19 paper medium so I my layers are usually this big. Lately during a save Photoshop refused to save because the document uncompressed was more than 2 gigues. Is there any way around this? I would rather save the documents unflattened in case
I choose to animate the layers later.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Photoshop File Size Save Issue
on Aug 3, 2007 at 4:20:26 pm

Hi Tonyman,
If you really have to work in such large dimensions (13x19 ...2 Gig and more), I don't think there is much you can do in Photoshop to make life easier. Only thing I can think of is "purge" often, use "scratch disk" ..

Every layer, even a blank layer occupies the same file amount than any other layer with data on it, so if you have layers that you don't need...get rid of them. Reduce the amount of layers if possible, combine some layers if possible. When saving, save "as" will reduce file size as well, use compression when saving.

I don't know your computer and ram specs, but if you can, add in as much memory as you can afford and the computer can hold.
Hope that helps.
Adi

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 3, 2007 at 8:35:58 pm

Use adjustment layers
Save as a Layered TIFF with LZW compression

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Aug 12, 2007 at 2:01:46 pm

If it is over 2gb, you need to save a large document format .psb.

You must have lots of layers as 13x19 is only 64mb with no layers. Masks (8bits and comprssed)dont increase file size as much as full layer with no transparency. I often do 38 1/2 x 96 1/4" panels for trade shows, and those files never get over 200mb, and they often contain multiple type version layers.

Make sure your document is:

1)RGB
2)not in 16 bit per channel mode
3)Turn of maximimize compatibility (MC) when the popup comes during saving files, if you are not placing your psd in another app that requires MC.
4)try saving as Photoshop PDF with max quality. Tiff LZW is nice & nonlossy, but a postscript rip amy choke on it. If your rip can handle it, use LZW.
5) Convert to CMYK only when your artwork is apporoved to go to print

Return to posts index

sbrager
on Aug 20, 2007 at 7:00:08 pm

If you're hitting a 2gB limit and you have space available on your hard drive, check the format of that drive to make certain that it's NTSF and not FAT32.

Stan
Stan Brager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]