FORUMS: list search recent posts

banding on gradients

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iannorthrop
banding on gradients
on Jun 28, 2007 at 7:03:37 pm

Hello,
Can anyone explain to me why banding occurs in gradients?
I've been told it has something to do with 8bit per channel color and it's limited colorspace but how do I get around this? Is there a workaround to smooth out my grads?

ian

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: banding on gradients
on Jun 28, 2007 at 10:31:11 pm

You can work in 16bpc to smooth the gradient further, or add noise/dithering to the gradient to make it appear smoother.

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

iannorthrop
on Jun 29, 2007 at 4:10:35 pm

Thank you very much. Working in 16bpc certainly helped. I'm afraid I don't quite get the add dithering recommendation though. Could you explain further?

ian

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 29, 2007 at 7:25:46 pm

Adding noise to a gradient, or dithering the gradient (which essentially adds noise but in a more intelligent manner), will cause the straight lines you see to have more of a diffuse characteristic. So instead of seeing bands of quantization in your colors, the colors become more integrated as the pixels of each color move across the line and form a diffuse edge rather than a straight edge (there is still the same number of colors/the same quantization, it only appears less banded).

Changing to 16bpc should actually increase the number of colors that can be represented from 16,777,216 to 281,474,976,710,656 =)

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

iannorthrop
on Jun 29, 2007 at 7:38:44 pm

great. feel like I've learned alot. thank you.
I'm not finding the dither checkbox on the "layer styles" gradient overlay. I do see it when using the tool manually. so that solves that.. I'll only use the gradient tool from the tools window to take advantage of the dithering/diffuse qualities. thanks again.

ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]