FORUMS: list search recent posts

How come when saving out of Photoshop the colours are sometimes different?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DanielHaskett
How come when saving out of Photoshop the colours are sometimes different?
on Jun 19, 2007 at 7:48:10 pm

Basically ive saved out an image as a jpeg from photoshop and the resulting colours are much duller than in photoshop, but the weird thing is when i open it in photoshop the colours are fine, so its like in windows viewer it does that....but then when i save out as WEB jpeg at a smaller size the colours are fine.

The original psd is cmyk 8bit.....any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: How come when saving out of Photoshop the colours are sometimes different?
on Jun 20, 2007 at 1:09:30 pm

Hi,
I would stay away from cmyk, if the image is intended for the web, since it never will be viewed in cmyk.
Also, make sure the color settings in Photoshop are set up correctly for your workflow.
What preset or settings are you using ( your color profile in Photoshop)?
Are you using a profile suitable for the web?
Assuming you are using a rgb color profile (try the preset: North America Web/Internet with a Gamma of 2.2)
saving it out of Photoshop as a jpeg, open it up from within your web browser, the image should display with the correct colors.
I wouldn't trust the windows viewer as a preview tool for color sensitive images.
Hope that helps.
Adi

Return to posts index

DanielHaskett
on Jun 20, 2007 at 1:11:52 pm

hey

im doing it for print which is why i used cmyk instead. ive always used rbg in the future and the colours never quite came out how i wanted them to in print...obviously i guess, so hopefully itll be ok?

cheers

dan

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Jun 20, 2007 at 1:52:28 pm

When you convert from cmyk to rgb and vice versa, you have to "honor color profiles".
Whatever color settings were used when the image was created, the same profile has to be used to convert to rgb.
But there will always be a slight shift, since rgb misses the "k" black, so you will have to compensate for this by adjusting the color levels in Photoshop, to match as close as possible ( since rgb has a wider color gammut than cmyk).
In your workflow, with color management active, if you use the same color profiles/setup that was used when the image was created, it should not shift in colors, when you print
or move it to another computer.

Take care.
Adi

btw: The creative suite has a nice feature that let's you sync colors across applications,
so that the creative suite apps. all use the same profiles-check it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]