FORUMS: list search recent posts

mask linking smart objects in CS2?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
mask linking smart objects in CS2?
on Apr 17, 2007 at 2:15:10 pm

Does anyone know how I can apply a mask to a smart object in PS CS2 and link it like you would if it were a normal layer? I've applied one and when I move the mask the sm/obj doesn't move and when I move the sm/obj the mask stays put! Very annoying!!

Thanks,
Jim.

*Production Studio Premium / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: mask linking smart objects in CS2?
on Apr 18, 2007 at 3:22:14 pm

Layer >> Layer mask >> Link is greyed out with smart objects, so you cannot do this the normal way.

You can though make a new group and assign a layer mask to the group and put your smart object in the group. Just move the group not the layer and you will get the result you need.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Apr 19, 2007 at 11:47:24 am

Cheers Mike! That worked...it made PS stutter like crazy when I tried moving it around the document, but how much of that is my cr@ppy old PC is in question!...

*Production Studio Premium / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

johnny5k
on May 18, 2007 at 4:06:33 pm

Same problem here-- but the folder fix doesn't work for me. If I have a masked smart-object with a layer-style applied (glow). I would need to apply that style to the folder-mask now, since my smart object can't have a linked mask-- but you can't apply styles to folders. So I'm still out of luck. This was an issue in CS2 that I EXPECTED to be fixed in CS3 without question. Guess I'll have to wait another 2 years to spend another $700 to get something fixed that should have worked in the first place. Grrrr!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]