FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having problems separating eyelash from skin color.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
purrsia
Having problems separating eyelash from skin color.
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:46:29 am

Hi. I recently somehow lost my most important brush on Adobe and its the brush I use all the time for retouching photos. I have worked several days on trying to make up the image to make a new brush, but I'm having no luck. I do have an image which is eyelashes, but the skin color is still behind them. I need the eyelashes separated from the skin color. Basically, I want all the black coloring and everything else gone. I'm going to try to attach the image so you can see what I'm talking about. I just looked and don't know how to attach the image. Can someone please help me out. I need to use this brush yesterday..lol Thats how far behind I am. Thanks for any help.
purrsia

Return to posts index

jonnoB
Re: Having problems separating eyelash from skin color.
on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:27:45 am

HI Purrsia,

Have you tried the "Colour Range" function located in the "Select" Pull down menu. Try arawing a marquee around the eye area (making sure the image layer where the eyelash info is selected, this will not work properly id an adjustment layer or existing mask is selected) and then select "Colour Range" from the "Select" menu. Then using the "eyedropper" tool (it should already be the default selection) select (click) the eyelash colour in the image. The "colour range" 'palette' will have a black and white dispaly showing the selection in white that you will be making. Adjust the 'Fuzziness' threshold + or - until you get the desired result or you can also add mre to your selection by using the 'Add to Sample' eyedropper. After yuor selection is made I suggest you feather it slightly too reducew the hard edge and also use quick mask to add or remove any areas the colour range function may have missed. Then simply use this selection to create a layer mask.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

purrsia
on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:34:07 am

That sounds like it would work, but I'm pretty new to Photoshop CS2 or photoshop all together. I found the color range you was talking about. I'm going to try to do this step by step because I really have a feeling this is what I need to do. That is, if I can figure out what you said in your post. Not that you didn't say anything right, everything is still foreign to me. I'm going to try it right now.
I can put this image on one of my webpages so you can see what I'm talking about if that would help also.
Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

purrsia
on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:59:59 am

Okay, I did what you said, then the lashes came up white. I adjusted the fuzziness. When I hit save it came back to how it was before I did this. Also, am I supposed to hit save or load and if save, do I want greytone or black matte.

Return to posts index

jonnoB
on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:05:52 am

Sorry, I should have explained. When you have the selection (white area) in the colour range pallete hit OK not save or load and this will give you the new selection in photoshop.

Return to posts index

purrsia
on Feb 22, 2007 at 9:02:11 pm

Hi again
I'm still having problems with the lashes. I do what you say with the color and I get the lashes to change white, then click okay and I'm back to where I started, excepted the selection lines are all over. Can I put my image on one of my webpages so you can see what I'm talking about?
Thank you

Return to posts index

jonnoB
on Feb 22, 2007 at 10:10:12 pm

Sure, post the link and I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

purrsia
on Feb 22, 2007 at 10:26:50 pm

Thank you so much. All I want from this image is the lashes, nothing else. http://www.kelsphotocreations.com/misc.htm
Thank you again

Return to posts index

jonnoB
on Feb 22, 2007 at 11:48:32 pm

I have done a jpg flattened version quickly here

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/jono26/?action=view¤t=practice...

You could use this image as a guide for your version. Or you could always try creating new lashes using the brush tool and using shape dynamics with the "size jitter" control set too fade. (sounds complicated but the options are in the 'brushes' palette under the window menu).

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]