FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Nikon RAW to CMYK

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Thomas
Converting Nikon RAW to CMYK
on Feb 1, 2007 at 5:20:16 pm

I am shooting with a Nikon D1x camera in RAW format. The images look great when coverted via Photoshop CS2 to RGB and printed on an RGB printer.

The problem arises when the RAW files are coverted to CMYK by our graphics artist. Some of channels have areas that look posterized. And the colors are really shifted. The prints off the CMYK printer look awful....with posterization and strange color shifts.

We are thinking there are some settings in the PS CS2 bridge that need to be set collectly. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Converting Nikon RAW to CMYK
on Feb 1, 2007 at 8:20:07 pm

Under edit >> color settings you should get a good cmyk conversion if you are set to something like North American Prepress default. The option that appears in the working space: CMYK is what will most affect an RGB to CMYK conversion.

How does the file look on the screen after coverting to CMYK??? The image should look close to the RGB image except a little saturation may be lost overall, (more in areas which have a large amount of primary blue).

If your image looks decent, then your problem is not with the date in your image, btu with your cmyk printer or the settings you are using while printing.

Return to posts index

Steven Thomas
on Feb 1, 2007 at 11:29:00 pm

The image on screen looks bad. If you view different channels you can see where there is posterization stuff happening and areas that appear soft when they are sharp in the RGB mode. Totally baffled.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 7, 2007 at 3:43:10 pm

Ok that tells us that the problem is not in how your printer is imaging the file, but most likely that the file has converted poorly to CMYK. The other option, would be that you monitor is displaying the image incorrectly, but your printouts are affected, so I doubt that is the case.

From my last post can you tell us what you have for edit >> color settings. If you are not familiar with the color settings, change the settings to : North America general Purpose and everything underneath will change to that. Yu may have either RGB or CMYK set to a colorspace taht does nto have a wide gamut adn colors get consolidated, similar to saving a low quality Jpeg.

You should also have view >> proof setup in working CMYK

Would post a screenshot of my color settings, but I do not know which platform you are on, can you fill out your profile? I am on PC at work, but have both at my home office.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]