FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer Shuts Off

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete
Computer Shuts Off
by
on Jan 29, 2007 at 3:13:26 pm

Hey guys i know most of you will get a kick of the system requirements, but here it goes:
My wife (i swear is her, LOL!) just got CS2 on her computer at work not too long ago but after a little while of working in PSCS2 her computer just shuts off, i believe is something to do with her system requirements, but her crappy computer meets the System Req., and her IT dept. has a budget to keep (i guess - specially with Dell's being so expensive now a days - wink!) i know it isn't recommended to run on the bare basics, the company she work for has other priorities; i wanted to ask you all what you think it was, and if there's anything that can be done to save her? and maybe I'm wrong and SysReq is fine, and it could be something else.

She works on an Dell Optiplex GX 110 (is a P3, Win2000, 512MbRAM, i believe a standard TNT or Ati video card.

any ideas? thanks.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Computer Shuts Off
on Jan 29, 2007 at 3:43:49 pm

Hi Pete,
two things come to my mind, reading your post:
1:The computer is overheating, and so the power supply shuts of;
2: Virus- run a virus check on the system.

Is it shutting off only when running photoshop ?
Can you force it to do the same thing in other applications?

Good luck.
-Adi

Return to posts index

Pete
by
on Jan 29, 2007 at 10:27:31 pm

no only photoshop

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Jan 30, 2007 at 2:31:54 pm

Well.....I guess since you said they are on a budget, adding more memory is out of the question, right?

In this case try to lower the amount of "Undo" in the prefs, because everything you do in PS goes into RAM.
Also "purge" often within PS (Edit....Purge...All).

I also would suggest to enable "sratch disk" and play around with the memory (used by PS) and image cache settings.
All those settings can be accessed in the preferences.

But really all these suggestions are only a temporary fix, and on the long run it's a waste of time and money. If you really do a lot of Photoshop work, no matter what, the only real solution is ....a better computer ;)
By the way...for less than 1000 bucks you can get a decent MAC.....that blows all those Dells (in the same price range) away.....something to think about :)

Return to posts index

Pete
by
on Jan 30, 2007 at 9:21:07 pm

Thanks Pixel, and Being a mac user myself i've mentioned about pricing, but they're in PC heaven (or hell rather), thanks for everything, I've actually had my wife mess with most memory setting and so far no luck, so i guess she is just gona have to keep hating it, and saving every second.

thanks for everything.

Return to posts index

Skandaless
on Feb 2, 2007 at 9:22:11 am

I had a similar problem with premiere pro. After installing a driver update for my videocard the problem was fixed. Don't know if this is gonna fix any, but it's worth a try.

Stephan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]