FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to desat and leave one color showing?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coach
how to desat and leave one color showing?
on Nov 12, 2006 at 9:55:05 pm

Hello,

I spend 80% of my time in FCP editing and some in PS. I now need to design a DVD cover and I will be using PS 7 to do it. I am ok in PS. I want to make the cover (which is a picture I took) all black and white (desaturate it) but leave only the color still reaming being orange. I have Richard Harringtons book and have also looked for tutorials but have been unable to locate how to achieve this look. In editing video it would be similiar to the Pleasantville Effect. Can anyone point to a tutorial or show me the steps. Thanks in advance.

Coach

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: how to desat and leave one color showing?
on Nov 13, 2006 at 7:36:47 am

It's quite easy....

USe the Select > Color Range command.... choose Color you want to keep

then feather and inverse the selection

Add a Hue/Sat adjsutment layer and pull Hue down....

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Coach
Thanks Richard and Jimmybee
on Nov 13, 2006 at 1:36:24 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Richard, really enjoy the book and I bought it because I saw you at Chicago FCP group a while back. Thanks for your help.

Coach

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Nov 13, 2006 at 9:36:50 am

Look at the help files for using 'magic wand tool' and 'colour range'. They are your main keying/colour isolating tools in PS. If the colour you want to separate isn't defined enough to get a key, you'll have to cut it out by hand, using the pen tool and masks.

*Production Studio Premium / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

gees
by
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:33:58 pm

You may also go to Image>Adjust>Desaturate...then go to History brush and paint over the area you want to restore color...but then again you requested a color that you wanted to add. Just another technique to use. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]