FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corner pinning a layer that's already been distorted?..

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
Corner pinning a layer that's already been distorted?..
on Oct 18, 2006 at 2:54:38 pm

Hi,

Just a quick question to see if anyone knows any tricks on how to reset a layer's free transform corners to it's ACTUAL layer boundaries/corners AFTER it's already been pulled about?

Hmm..difficult to explain - EG: if I have a rectangluar shape layer, in tree tranform>distort I 'corner pin' it to match something else's 3D perspective, or to make it look like it's in a 3D space, it works fine. But if later on I want to re-distort it using free transform the corners revert back to a flat rectangle, rather than where the corners of the layer now reside..

Does that make sense?!?
Any help appreciated.

I guess what I'm after is something similar to After Effects Corner Pin filter. Also, if there's any PS filters that enable you to manipulate layers in a virtual 3D space that'd be great - rather than free transforming by eye.

Thanks.

*AE 5.5 Pro - *PS CS1 - *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / BMD DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Corner pinning a layer that's already been distorted?..
on Oct 20, 2006 at 3:43:54 pm

The best solution is to always keep an original of an image before distortion, because each time you distort an image the quality degrades.

Since you probably do not have the original undistorted image to go back to you will have to undistort the trapezoid shaped image back to a rectangle shape. Pull out 4 guides to roughly what you beleive the original shape fo the image was. Do a free tranform and try to get as close as possible. Once you have undistorted, you may want to shave off a row of pixles if you notice a nasty looking edge.

If you do have the original, place that into photoshop. I ofen keep a layer hidden if I know will need to distort it may times and duplicate the layer prior to distorting so you don't loose the original.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Oct 21, 2006 at 12:17:56 pm

Thanks for that Mike - yeah that's what I currently do aswell, but it's not an ideal workflow and can often mean a bunch of extra layers/layer sets and can make it hard to navigate around them, plus makes the file size that much bigger.

I've just ordered Production Studio Premium, so will have CS2 by next week hopefully, which *I think* has a fix in that you can convert any image to a smart object and warp/stretch/twist & distort it to your hearts content without degrading it and keeping it 'live' from the previous transform....Have I got that right? Hope so!

Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / BMD DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Oct 21, 2006 at 12:21:35 pm

...Just to add. I WISH PS had a 3D environment instead of all the guess work!! Maybe an addition to CS3? Any rumours abound? (I know, I know - the cow doesn't DO rumours! ;)

Shall have to use AE until that time..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]