FORUMS: list search recent posts

flatten to new layer - leave layers intact

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Ralph
flatten to new layer - leave layers intact
on Sep 25, 2006 at 8:50:59 pm

Is there a way in PS CS2 to flatten all the layers in an image to a new layer but leave the original layers intact beneath the new one?

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
Re: flatten to new layer - leave layers intact
on Sep 26, 2006 at 9:44:29 am

Just stick all the layers you want to flatten into a new layer set and then duplicate that - flatten it - and keep the other one as an editable backup.

If it's a big file I'm working on I usually also save two identical PSDs, calling one 'BACKUP' for when I'm flattening files into mattes and faces.

...It's very easy to accidentally save over a layered file when you're making mattes quickly and then close it and lose the history! A couple of jobs I've had to do again cos of that!

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Sep 26, 2006 at 12:56:35 pm

thanks Jimmy - I can do it with 3 or 4 commands but I thought there was a keyboard shortcut. It seems I am not the only one who would have a use for such a thing

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Sep 27, 2006 at 9:17:52 am

When you say 3 or 4 'commands'..what do you mean? I'm always trying to find quicker ways to do stuff!

off topic - have you noticed how the action & title safe guides in PS are not right? I rarely use them as I have my own file template set up for UK 16:9 broadcast...but I was doing a non-broadcast job yesterday and was using the title safe preset on a DV PAL widescreen new document (with guides) and noticed the vertical title safe is WELL within the actual legal safe. Bit boring I know, but if it's something you need, it's good to know!

*AE 5.5 Pro - *PS CS1 - *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / BMD DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Sep 27, 2006 at 11:24:53 am

Make new Layer...

Hold Down Option Key or Alt ey

Choose Mege Visible

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
thanks Richard - right thread this time
on Sep 27, 2006 at 2:01:55 pm

is that trick documented anywhere?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: thanks Richard - right thread this time
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:31:59 am

In my books and DVDs it is.... lots like it in the book Broadcast Graphics on the Spot

You'll also find tips in the blog PhotoshoforVideo.com and the companion podcast

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Sep 27, 2006 at 9:56:15 pm

Good one! I usually just flatten, but that will come in very handy... ta.

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Sep 28, 2006 at 12:44:11 am

I haven't tried this on CS1 or CS2, but it works in Photoshop 7 (yeah, yeah, I know, I need to upgrade). Make a new layer, then Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E. That's on a PC. I assume it's Ctrl+Option+Shift+E or something similar on a Mac.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Justin Spina
on Sep 30, 2006 at 6:35:05 am

In CS2 you don't even need to make a new layer first. Just hit CMD(CTRL)+OPT+SHFT+E and that will merge visible all on a new layer above all your other layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]