FORUMS: list search recent posts

convert selection to path

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bNorris
convert selection to path
on Aug 23, 2006 at 4:35:32 am

Is it possible to convert a selection to a path?

Return to posts index

JonnoB
Re: convert selection to path
on Aug 25, 2006 at 12:32:32 am

Hey There,

Yes it is possible to convert a selection to a path. First make the selection and then select 'Make Work Path' from the pull down menu in the 'Paths' palette. You'll have to set a tolerance for the path between 0 - 10 i.e. the lower the tolerance the greater the number of points in the path and the path is more complex and the higher the tolerance the lower the number of points and the work path is simpler. However I would suggest against this option as paths created from selections are not always that accurate. If this is for the purpose of clipping and image (deep etching, contouring) I would suggest using the selection to create a clipping mask for the layer or create the path myself and then use that to create my selection fro clipping mask.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Return to posts index

mike hawwk
on Feb 3, 2013 at 1:29:06 am

How do you set the tolerance?

Return to posts index

De Jay Depusoir
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:47:57 pm

I'm not sure if the person resolved the issue, but for anyone else out there who may have a similar issue finding out how to change the tolerance for "make work path to selection" here it is:

1. Create your "selection". (CTRL + click on layer thumbnail)
2. Go to Paths Tab (if you do not see it, go to "window" select "paths"
3. In the Paths Tab, at the right side is an arrow pointing down with three horizontal lines, that is the menu for that tab. Click on it.
4. Once clicked, a drop down menu will appear, in that menu you will see "Make Work Path". Click on it.
5. When clicked, a pop up box comes up with the option to change the tolerance for the path. The Lowest you can go as of now is 0.5. Once finished customizing your path, click ok
6. Now you have a "work path" in you "Paths" tab.
7. if you are exporting it would File >> Export >> Paths to Illustrator.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]