FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D like Photo, History Channel

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aazz44
3D like Photo, History Channel
on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:08:04 pm

Hi,

I've seen a few shows on the History Channel lately that have some interesting photos. They seem to be original B&W photos, lets say from the Civil War, however they look 3D. The people in the photo pop out of the picture, and are staggered (if there is more than one) in the photo to give it more depth. I just started noticing this and was wondering how they are doing it. Is it a new program or something that can be done in PS?

Thanks,
Mike A.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: 3D like Photo, History Channel
on Aug 7, 2006 at 11:05:43 pm

I call it Motion Control 3D

I have a tutorial at PhotoshopforVideo.com under Conference Handouts

Also have a DVD shipping in a couple of weeks that goes in depth on topic

it uses PS and AE

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

firtich
on Aug 8, 2006 at 6:19:29 am

Simple they cut out the elements in photoshop, then bring it into after effects or the composite of their choice, make them 3d layers and then move around their camera; if you can fake some paralax it will look good. Actually it takes a bit of time to make it look good, kinda of like rotoscoping. Also they add a moving element or two their final composite, like smoke, fire, birds in the background that kinda of thing, maybe even a 3d render or two too truly spice up the scene. Some sweet particles spewing at the camera are always nice but i guess it falls into 3d render.

Return to posts index

jim
by
on Aug 13, 2006 at 2:34:27 pm

The effect is a very good way of making still images fit a moving image product, and has been around for a while. One of the biggest uses of this effect was in the movie "The Kid Stays in the Picture," from several years ago. If memory serves, the effect was written up in DV Magazine and probably other places.

Basically, you cut out individuals or objects and make them a separate layer using Photoshop (or another tool that allows layers.) Use the same tool, re-build any background that might show when you move the camera in After Effects or other compositing program. Import the layered image and position each layer separately in 3D space.

If you're really clever, you can even fake the famous "bullet time" effect.

Return to posts index

Mike A.
on Aug 14, 2006 at 7:11:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. I have enough info to get me started.

Mike A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]