FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy or move paths with layers?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timihclark
Copy or move paths with layers?
on Jun 1, 2006 at 2:29:13 pm

I can't find an answer to this in Creative Cow.
Can you copy or move paths with the layers either in the original comp or to another image. eg I have a map of some countries each made with a path. I need to drop these countries into a much bigger project. Dragging paths in to the bigger project only centeres them, no use for a map. I've made layer masks but this make my file size huge. I've converted these masks into vector shapes but the file size is still getting big.

Many thanks

Tim

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Copy or move paths with layers?
on Jun 1, 2006 at 8:14:14 pm

Unfortunatley you cannto copy paths form one docuemtn to antoher form the paths palette.

Transferring your paths to Vector based layer masks should help:

Highlight a path in your paths palette
Go to you layers palette
Choose Layer >> add vector mask >> current path

Remember to hold down shift when dragging layers between documents to center them. The trick is to start dragging the layer first, then adding the shift key before you drop. Though the purpose is to center pixels, most people use this simlar to to register layers between 2 docuemtns of the same pixel size.

Return to posts index

Cherelyn Gillson
on Apr 28, 2016 at 1:38:17 am

This has been doing my head in, I could copy the paths and the layer but they wouldn't stay in the same relationship to each other no matter what means I used to copy the two. I can't believe it's so simple. Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver.

Return to posts index

Rudy nooijen
on May 9, 2016 at 6:15:32 pm

dragging it while holding the crtl key?
exporting paths to Illustrator and back to your other PSD imagefile?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]