FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking an Adjustment Layer to only effect certain layers?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
phillr
Masking an Adjustment Layer to only effect certain layers?
on May 19, 2006 at 2:01:18 pm

I need to create a set of 'radar'-like images. Sort of like those old-school submarine Radar screens, with the green circles, the light green sweeping line, and the various 'dots/names' that get lit up when they get sweeped.

I'm heading to work later on in the day, hoping some1 could help me clarify the workflow I have in my head.

Since I'll need to create multiple radar images, I'm thinking I'll just have the "light up" effect as an adjustment layer, and that items directly below it would be lit up the most, while items further away by a certain amount would not be lit up at all. But items somewhat close would be partially lit up.

I'm thinking that I'll do this by making a tall white->black->white gradient mask (or vice versa, always get the mask colors mixed up), and place it directly over the radar sweep and link the two together. So I can conviently reposition the radar sweep and the 'lighting up' adjustment layer will move along with it.

I'll also place all my 'dots/names' into one set, and have the adjustment layer applied to this set, so that the adjustment layer ONLY affects the dots/names, and doesn't light up the generic background nor the radar sweep.

I have NO experience with using adjustment layers, and very little experience with masking. If this works, can anybody tell me how to do the adjustment layer process that I described?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Masking an Adjustment Layer to only effect certain layers?
on May 27, 2006 at 4:15:10 pm

Experiment with layer sets/groups and yes you can click the add mask button to ad a lyer mask and use the gradient tool

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]