FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help with font resolution when creating Video Menus with PShop CS2

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jupiter
Need help with font resolution when creating Video Menus with PShop CS2
on Apr 18, 2006 at 1:19:42 pm

I am using Photoshop CS2's default template (I am more or less a beginner) to create PAL menus which I then import into Adobe Encore. I noticed that the resolution of the image defaults to 72 dpi and the fonts have jagged edges. I have tried anti-aliasing set to smooth and still pretty bad. I am using Adobe pro fonts (Myriad Pro). The menu text in Encore as well doesn't look good. I need to create motion menus (with button highlights), so I am stuck with using Photoshop. How can I make my fonts looking clear and professional? Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Need help with font resolution when creating Video Menus with PShop CS2
on Apr 18, 2006 at 2:21:52 pm

Your fonts may already be set correctly, but you need to view items at 100% in Photoshop to see a true 1 to 1 pixel represenation on screen of what the final product will look like.

Return to posts index

Jupiter
on Apr 18, 2006 at 5:07:32 pm

Yes, I did view it in the "actual pixels" mode and the font edges appear jagged. Not sure where to go from here...

Return to posts index

Leigh Thomas
on Apr 20, 2006 at 6:41:17 pm

I'm not sure if this will help as I'm not familiar with Encore and how it handles Photoshop files.
Video is only 72 dpi so there is nothing that you can do about that. Myriad Pro should be a good font to use... no serifs to cause problems. Don't use any size under 18 pts.

I'm not sure from your post as to whether the fonts look good in Photoshop and bad in Encore or if the fonts look bad in both? If it looks bad in Photoshop and you have tried the different aliasing, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's an OTF font, so you don't have the post-script problem.
On the other hand, if it only looks bad in Encore, then it is probably because the text is being used as the overlay or subpicture (whichever one you want to call it). Overlays can only do 4 colors and there is no dithering, meaning text is going to be aliased or jagged. There are a few sortof workarounds but the main one would be to not use the text as the subpicture. Put the text in the background and use some other shape as an overlay.

HTH.

Leigh Thomas

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Apr 20, 2006 at 7:13:23 pm

Video is NOT 72 dpi

DPI means DOTS PER INCH and that only comes into play in PRINT

Depending upon your video format, you can have a variety of sizes to choose from

Change your preferences to measuer type in pixels...
Use Photoshop Video Export Ability to look at text on a Television

Every font is different (there are millions that work just fine for video)

Suggest going deeper

Start at http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

then pick up a book or DVD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]