FORUMS: list search recent posts

PHOTOSHOP CS LOCKING UP

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Carr
PHOTOSHOP CS LOCKING UP
on Apr 11, 2006 at 7:34:40 pm

Since buying Photoshop CS2 (9.0) several months ago, I am having a continual problem with it crashing. The scenario is always the same. What makes it more unusual is that when loaded on different computers, it acts the same way, locking them all up.

I

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: PHOTOSHOP CS LOCKING UP
on Apr 12, 2006 at 8:59:49 pm

Rest assured that CS2 is very stable and has been beta tested on many XP Pro configurations. Is there anything similar about all your systems that is not part of the common install (a plug-in, network, malignant virus, corrupted preference.

My post would be very long to give you all the tricks to try (I wrote an entire troubleshooting chapter in my book on this), but start with these:

1) Reset your Photoshop Prefs (Shift Ctrl Alt immediately after booting Photoshop)
2) Uninstall any extra fonts (it only takes one corrupt font)
3) Run speed disk or defragment your drive
4) Free up extra space on your drive
5) Run all the virus stuff you can (Norton, Spydoctor, Windows Defender, WF Shredder, Sbybot)
6) Update any wacom driver, screen saver or other common leemnt element fo the crashing machines
7) Turn OFF automatic updates for Windows XP

There has to be something common about all your systems that is causing this. If you reformatted your machine and only installed Photoshop, most likely it would work. Don't want you to do that, unless that is easily possible.

What puzzles me most is that you have this problem on three machines, there must be some driver or common font or preference/application causing this.

If a bridge window open in the background can crash your system once i begins to preview a corrutp image.

Good luck and have faith that your problem can be fixed, sorry to hear this has went on for 7 months.

Return to posts index

Sockalingam
on Apr 14, 2006 at 7:31:22 am

Mike,

Maybe you know why everytime I start PS CS (V8.0 on OS X 10.4.4), or double-click a file, I get this message: "One or more files in the Adobe Support folder necessary for running PS are missing."

Despite this start-up message, PS runs fine and nothing seems to be missing from the folder!

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 18, 2006 at 2:08:23 pm

OS X has this whole Unix based file permissions which often gets screwed up, for no good reason. You can use disk utility and click on the repair permissions button.

This may fix you problem, if not you can reinstall Photohsop, as the permisions for that folder should be fixed now.

If you have photoshop running on another machine you can save time by copying the missing file over. I am not in front of a mac now, but you may need to Ctrl Clicking on the application and choosing show package contents, to view the individual parts of the app. You could then compare and try to find any missing files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]