FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I use the Alpha Channel to make a mask?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_gfx
How can I use the Alpha Channel to make a mask?
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:02:26 pm

I am on PS 6.0

I have a picture of a man in a background
I want to cut him out of the background
I do not want to delete the background that I cut out.
I just want to mask it so if later i want to bring part of it back i can.
I know i can create a mask on the layer and use the brush tool to paint out what I don't want. But when i paint back on the background I have to guess where the edge of the man is.

I thought there was a way to paint on the alpha channel itself to achieve this effect. A way that would show me Red where the mask is hiding what I don't want to see.
Then if i wanted to touch up the edge of the man, i could see through the Red to know where to paint.

anyone know how to do this?

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: How can I use the Alpha Channel to make a mask?
on Mar 24, 2006 at 8:58:36 pm

Hi mr_gfx,
since I'm not certain how you're set-up is, I would suggest that you make a quick selection (Lasso, Ellipse, Rectangle,...) of a part that you want to keep.
Now, press Q. You have just activated the QuickMask tool. Is the part you selected red? or is it the opposite?
I find that some jobs are easier to work on with the Red on the outside, others with the Red on the inside. To revert to normal mode, just hit Q again.
But how do I switch it? you might ask. Look at your main toolbar, right below the Front/Background letter, you'll find it to the right (I am looking at CS2 but it is quite similar in 6, if I recall correctly). When you find the icon, double-click it. The options will appear. You can even change the Red to something else.

Hope this helps,
iso

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: How can I use the Alpha Channel to make a mask?
on Mar 26, 2006 at 3:05:05 am

Quick mask cannot be saved with document...

Be sure to create a new channel in the channels palette (that'll be the alpha)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]