FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unknown or invalid JPEG Marker

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Achatz
Unknown or invalid JPEG Marker
on Jan 23, 2006 at 11:03:02 pm

I just finished working on three large JPEG files in PhotoShop 7. I printed copies and saved them to my hard drive. When I tried to reopen them I recieved the following error; could not open c: (File address is here).jpg because unkown or invalid JPEG marker is type is found.

Is there any way to reopen these files? It's going to take quite a few hours to redo them.

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

maverick13
Re: Unknown or invalid JPEG Marker
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:34:01 pm

Check the extension you saved with. If for some reason the file is a TIFF file saved with the JPEG extension, you may see this error. It happens sometimes when I scan a file as one type, but give it the wrong extension (stupid Microtek Mac software). Make sure the file is what it says it is.

Return to posts index

Dan Achatz
on Jan 24, 2006 at 5:05:07 pm

Nope this wasn't the problem. But thanks for the info. I just went ahead and recreated the files. As long as I saved them as a photoshop file, they were fine. If I tried to flattens them and save them as a JPEG, it kept giving me the same error. I wonder if JPEG files have a maximum file size. These were 12000 x 9000 at 300dpi files, so the file size was around 34 Megs..

Dan

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jan 28, 2006 at 1:12:20 am

I was able to save and reopen a file that big.

You may want to run Norton Disk Doctor on your drive as you may have some bad blocks (frequent cause of such an error). Disk Utility is already on your Mac, or you can right click on a drive in windows adn run erro checking.

You also may wnat to explore the Phothsop PDf option if you have large files taht you want to put compression on. PDF has been wonderful for us.

Return to posts index

Steven Holliday
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:21:32 pm

I was having same problem with saving to a JPG from a PSD file 90cmx60cm @300 DPI. Nothing I could do to fix it. However - crop image to half the dimensions and the file saves fine. I assume there's some limit to the maximum dimensions of a JPEG that I was hitherto unaware of ... off to investigate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]